Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:10 AM   #11

If you are serious about carrying a camera everywhere you go you will want the smallest camera that gives the image quality you want.

Neither the IS or A620 are compact enough to always have IMHO. My wife is usually carrying her SD450...if I know I have some important shots I want to take...I bring my A620. Things like family get togethers, car shows, taking pictures for my website or to be printed, etc.

For the rest the SD is always there and itakes great shots on it's own.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:35 AM   #12

i have also just recently thrown the fujifilm f10 into the mix. im not big on manual controls anyway, and it apparently has the most amazing image quality in a point and shoot in all conditions. does anyone know first hand about this?
sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:35 AM   #13

i have also just recently thrown the fujifilm f10 into the mix. im not big on manual controls anyway, and it apparently has the most amazing image quality in a point and shoot in all conditions. does anyone know first hand about this?
sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:45 AM   #14

like many of the ultra compacts: No optical viewfinder.

Also it uses xD memory which a lot of card readers can not handle and it harder to find in a jam.

Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:02 PM   #15

Hi, I've just come through this dilemma and bought the A620. I held both the SD and the A620 and loved the feel of the A620 - somehow it was intuitive but then I come from the EOS 5 so it would be wouldn't it! The SD felt to thin and slippy for me but it is a nice handbag camera if that's what you're looking for. As for photo quality my honest opinion is you won't go wrong with any of them. Having made A4 calendar prints from my daughters 2mp Kodak fixed lens digital camera and seen the fabulous quality all these cameras will be great and the limitations will be at the printing end rather than the camera end in my opinion. For me, the only way to choose is to feel ... good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you go for!
liz4855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:55 PM   #16

Another way to do it is to get the 'better' camera that you will more commonly use spending more of the budget on it and thenget a generation or two older in the 'other' camera.

If I didn't have a partner with a ultra compact to tag along with my A620, I'd pick up a SD300 or even SD200 for a little over $100 (about $200 with bag, strap, extra battery). They still use SD and have DIGIC II 4MP vs 3MP which is plenty for 4x6's. When I had my A70 I was thinking of skipping the A620 and just going G series. However, I don't find myself needing that level of camera yet and I love the form factor of the A series...anything smaller feels clumsy in my hands and makes it hard for a steady shot.

My brother sold off his dSLR to go G5 and he carries a photog degree. He is a hiker/kayak/biker and the dSLR was too much to bag. His G5 works nicely with his lighting studio as well. If he really had a need (he doesn't shoot professionally), he could borrow someone's rig for a day for critical shots.

I think the best way to plan a camera purchase is first set the budget then think about how you will be carrying and using the cam. Think about the bag you will have to/may have to carry, think about extras that may be needed for the shots you want, it's nice to want a poster-sized print one day, but think how you will be really printing (if at all), etc.

I originally sold off my Canon A-1, I had a good general purpose lens and an awesome macro lens (about as much as the rest of the rig). I found myself without it much of the time because it was substantial to carry and a bit to setup (esp if flash was needed)...I purchased a Canon A-50 and have been hooked since.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:00 AM   #17

Sephiroth,
The cameras you listed throughout - SD550, A620, Fuji F10 and S2 I2 all differ from one another in terms of size and capability. Have you actually handled any of them to see how they feel in your hand? I would certainly do that before buying one of them. If size matters to you and you want a camera that you can carry around everywhere, then the SD550 wins hands down. The A620, F10 and S2S1 all take great photos, but they are bulkier with the S2S1 being the largest of the bunch. The F10 does not have a viewfinder and uses only xD cards, disadvantages IMHO. The advantage of the S2S1 is its 12x zoom, of course. I have the Panasonic FZ5 12x and love it, but I also bought the SD550 as a carry anywhere camera and it takes excellent photos. Decide what your needs and priorities are; handle each model and then make your decision.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote