Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1

ive got my eye set on a canon, due to their superior image quality. however i am torn between two of them. A620 and SD550 (dont ask my why i dont want the a610, i just dont lol)

Things going for the a620:

swivel lcd

manual controls (even though i really dont plan on using them)

Things going for sd550:

ultra powerful flash

really damn small

both have the same video quality.

Now what i DONT know is which one will take a better picture. I need something the one that will handle the most amount of situations (in auto or with little changing) with superior image quality. ive read reviews saying you can throw any situation (at night in the snow, dark rooms, bright outside areas, churches, etc) and it will handle it with no problem. yet, at the same time ive heard the flash isnt very powerful, and images could be noisier.

the sd550 however has a really powerul flash, but the lens is smaller than a normal camera, so it can't capture as much as a normal lens.

please help me decide!! IMAGE QUALITY > ANYTHING
sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:22 PM   #2

These are two very different cameras, it's like comparing the GTO and the Corvette.

Either one will have comparable image quality for auto type average range shots, the A620 will let you get more out of the camera and the SD550 is pocketable.

I would go with the one you will carry more.

I went with A620 and SD450.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:56 PM   #3

yea but from what it seems like the a620 takes better pics than the sd550.

i mean don't get me wrong, if you have a suggestion outside of these two models that you think would suit me better, then by all means let me know. this is what im looking for in a camera:

excellent image quality, which includes all different scenarios. (dark, light, indoor, outdoor, snow, etc)

powerful flash

excellent video mode

mid-sized down to ultra compact, anywhere in between.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:18 PM   #4

any camera based video is not going to be that great.

Flash can be solved with the canon add on flash or equivalent. Without knowing the why on that it's hard to make a recommendation. Usually if you need a great flash you need manual control too.

The best image quality will probably come from the SD620, or G series which is a bit bigger.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:40 PM   #5

Sephiroth,

I too faced the same dilema in choosing between the A620 and SD550 for my wife's Christmas present. But after actually handling the A620 I knew that it was not the right form factor for my wife. She has been holding cameras using the fore-fingers on top with thumbs on the bottom method all these years and she would have a difficult time to adjust to the right handed grip method for the A620. Also the A620 is a bit bulky due to the four AA batteries on the right side which makes it less compact to carry in her purse. If the A620 used four AAA batteries and did not have the bulk on the right side, it would have been the perfect size.

Though I wanted to get the A620 for more manual controls, the SD550 seems to have enough manual control for my needs and for sure 100% enough for my wife'spoint & shoot needs.

Comparing lots of photos on the web between the two, I think the sharpness of picture quality and the low noise at ISO 200 & 400 are about identical. The A620 has 4x zoom though while the SD550 has only a 3x zoom.

So my suggestion is to search your soul as to whether you will really use the additional manual controlsthat the A620 offers. Then base your decision on size, form factor and manual controls and leave out picture quality from the equation as that is the same or so close as not to be a factor.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 2:28 PM   #6

thanks to both of you for all your help. your gonna kill me now, but i've erased the sd550 from the list...and added another camera lol. my heart is now torn between the canon a620 and the canon s2 IS. after seeing some of the amazing pictures the s2 delivered on the canon forums, im strongly considering it, seeing as it still remains a decently small camera. stereo sound for movies, 12x zoom, image stabilization (im very shaky handed), awesome image quality, etc. if you guys had to pick between the two which one would u pick and why?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:01 PM   #7

I would go for the A620!
Both cameras have the same excellent CCD and the same excellent image processor, but the lense of the A620 is more powerful. The display of the SD550 is larger but the display of the A620 can be twisted. Though I twist the display for only 5-10% of my shots, these shots are particularily valuable and I really love this feature of my Powershot S1IS and my Coolpix 8400. On should also not forget that the A620 operates with extremely cheap NiMH batteries while the SD550 requires a proprietary LiIon battery.
On the other hand, the SD 550 is smaller, lighter and looks a lot better than the A620. The very plastic A620 looks really cheap and you can impress people only with A620 pictures but not with the camera itself.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:14 PM   #8

sephiroth wrote:
Quote:
thanks to both of you for all your help. your gonna kill me now, but i've erased the sd550 from the list...and added another camera lol. my heart is now torn between the canon a620 and the canon s2 IS. after seeing some of the amazing pictures the s2 delivered on the canon forums, im strongly considering it, seeing as it still remains a decently small camera. stereo sound for movies, 12x zoom, image stabilization (im very shaky handed), awesome image quality, etc. if you guys had to pick between the two which one would u pick and why?

A620....however I think you need to pin down your real needs and not 'specs'.

I would never consider video on a digicam other than a convenience feature.

Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:17 PM   #9

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
The very plastic A620 looks really cheap and you can impress people only with A620 pictures but not with the camera itself.
cheap is objective, but I tihink my A620 looks nicer than my A70 and neither I'd consider cheap looking.

Old Dec 17, 2005, 12:19 AM   #10

well ill be honest the camera is going to be in auto most of the time. manual very very rarely, i dont use the preset modes...mainly cuz my last camera, the sony w1, really didn't do anything and i found myself saying "well if auto doesnt capture the shot none of the presets will either"

i want a camera that can handle as many different situations as possible while in auto. that means if im out snow tubing one night and want a shot of my friends and the mountain behind us, i wanna capture it. if im at a party, i want to get pic of the room and not worry about stupid blur, i wanna capture it. if im out in the countryside and i see a great photo op from a landscape, i wanna capture it. from what ive seen the S2 IS produces AMAZING pictures, yet it gets lower image quality ratings on reviews than the a620 (very good as opposed to excellent). then i see a620 pics and they look really good, but something about the S2 IS looks almost like a DSLR photo.

im so torn please help me.