Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 149
Default

Where are you seeing it for $500 USD???? everyplace I see it sells it for about $250. I bought mine at Wal-Mart. $248.

I'll check into this patch thing. I bought mine a month ago. Can someone post the URL to get the patch, or is easy to find on Canon's website??
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 10:56 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9
Default

As for where to buy, If you find it cheep from a well named company then do so, otherwise check bizrate and see what people are saying, you will find that one store will have many different company names but all have the same telephone number(stay away). I saw a good price at Dell.com.

I bought the A40 for my son's first birthday, it worked great! I am very happy with the camera and the video feature. Note: The camera is not going to take great video and the more natural light the better, I was able to capture video clips that I would have missed because I just had my A40 and not my video camera.

I would suggest getting a good set of batteries, I got a very good charger and 1700 NiMH batteries from www.ripvan100.com they just came out with the 1850 NiMH, I found that the camera took about 250 pictures using the flash 70% and the LCD on all the time and I had previewed the images in the camera (on TV) about 5 times (this took about 3 days after the birthday party). I am very happy with the performance and with Sam's Club I can make prints on matte paper for 0.20 a picture and they look great!

Also in regards to batteries if you do run out go to CVS and get a set of the Panasonic Digital Camera batteries (Gold color - alkaline) these batteries also lasted forever, they are the same batteries that came with the camera.
web_maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 1:56 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J
Currently looking hard at the A40 in UK - sounds good. One query I can't sort - is the Powershot A40 ZOOM the same model as the Powershot A40. There is a difference fo 50 in some cases, but I can't see both up for sale in the same source. My main worry is that one may not have a Digital Zoom.
There is only ONE Canon PowerShot A40 on the market.
It has a 3X optical and 2.5 X digital zoom.
I do not understand why you care about the digital zoom. It is practically useless. It just enlarges a part the picture at the cost of resolution. You can achieve the same effect on your PC with any common picture processing program.

_rainer_
_rainer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:01 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Where are you seeing it for $500 USD???? everyplace I see it sells it for about $250. I bought mine at Wal-Mart. $248.

I'll check into this patch thing. I bought mine a month ago. Can someone post the URL to get the patch, or is easy to find on Canon's website??
Here is the place where you can obtain the patch:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSA40...ustment-e.html

_rainer_
_rainer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 12:29 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 307
Default One side blurred

A friend of mine just bought an A40 from Sears and the first few pics taken so far seem to be blurred over the right-hand 20% of the frames (at full wide angle). It does not require the Canon patch: the Web site said "patch is already installed" when I entered the serial number.
I have advised my friend to return the camera and get another in exchange, assuming the CCD is out of alignment with the lens. But having viewed several postings of pictures on the Web taken by A40's, I see several that seem to have the same problem. Other photos on the Web taken by A40's are sharp as a tack from edge to edge. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the sharp ones have had some post-processing in order to appear that sharp. Could anyone please advise if they have encountered this problem?
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 5:10 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 15
Default Re: One side blurred

My A40 appears to be crisp across the entire field of view. without any post processing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorRon
A friend of mine just bought an A40 from Sears and the first few pics taken so far seem to be blurred over the right-hand 20% of the frames (at full wide angle). It does not require the Canon patch: the Web site said "patch is already installed" when I entered the serial number.
I have advised my friend to return the camera and get another in exchange, assuming the CCD is out of alignment with the lens. But having viewed several postings of pictures on the Web taken by A40's, I see several that seem to have the same problem. Other photos on the Web taken by A40's are sharp as a tack from edge to edge. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the sharp ones have had some post-processing in order to appear that sharp. Could anyone please advise if they have encountered this problem?
cmanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 307
Default

My friend is returning the A40 this week to exchange for another. I spoke with a tech at Canon Canada who advised this was best, as CCD was probably out of alignment. I also found another poster (different forum) who had exactly the same problem. He had provided link to samples, and they were blurred on right side only for about 1/3 of the frame. He also returned the A40, but has not repurchased yet. So the problem was not isolated to the unit we have.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 1:31 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 307
Default

Further to my previous post:
On further investigation, I have determined that the blur can be on the right OR THE LEFT. This is true with our camera and the gentleman who posted his pics. Here is his page:

http://www.geocities.com/lloydyb_2000/TOCFrame.htm

Blurred on the RIGHT: 100-0063 and 100-0065
Blurred on the LEFT: 101-0149.

So most likely it's not the CCD out of alignment. It must be that the lens 'wobbles' as it focuses: so sometimes an element is out on one side, then on the other. If you're lucky and it focuses in "mid-wobble", it is relatively in focus on both sides, but not as sharp as a perfect lens would have been.
Anyone with a better theory?
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:56 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorRon
Further to my previous post:
On further investigation, I have determined that the blur can be on the right OR THE LEFT. This is true with our camera and the gentleman who posted his pics. Here is his page:

http://www.geocities.com/lloydyb_2000/TOCFrame.htm

Blurred on the RIGHT: 100-0063 and 100-0065
Blurred on the LEFT: 101-0149.

So most likely it's not the CCD out of alignment. It must be that the lens 'wobbles' as it focuses: so sometimes an element is out on one side, then on the other. If you're lucky and it focuses in "mid-wobble", it is relatively in focus on both sides, but not as sharp as a perfect lens would have been.
Anyone with a better theory?

wow!! what has Canon said about this? This sounds like a horrible QC problem for them or worse, a design flaw! if there are this many of these problem cameras out what do they intend to do? Best of luck to those with the problem. I hope that it is not something that develops - my doesnt have the problem - YET!
cmanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 11:18 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2
Default

I bought my A40 about 3 weeks ago at Walmart for $250. My cam didn't need the patch. I am very happy with the pics. Recently I uploaded pics to my PC from my brother's memory card which were taken with his Canon S40(much more expensive 4MP camera). I must say that my pictures looked at good as his and some of mine were better. I am very happy with the A40.
Laurie
Laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.