Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 4, 2002, 2:24 AM   #1

Default Canon A40

Any users of Canon A40? I would like to buy this camera and hence like to get users opinions. Also I find the prices vary from US$240 to US$550. Why such a huge difference? Any one could give me a clue? Thanks. Mathew
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2002, 8:51 PM   #2

Its a nice little camera with limited manual settings.

The dealers customer service could be the difference. I think, just buy it the cheapest place.

And remember to apply the adjustment program to solve the 13.4mm focus issue.
BjarneChr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 5:24 AM   #3

I am sorry, I couldn't understand the 13.4mm focus issue. Kindly clarify.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:09 AM   #4

I bought the A40 just at the time that the patch was released, but I have not yet downloaded it. Apparently from what I've read, you cannot focus under any circumstances at 13.4. I was waiting to see if the 'fix' caused other problems before applying. So far most everyone seems happy with the results, so I'll probably do it this weekend. Otherwise happy with the camera. Takes great outdoor shots and I'm getting better with people indoors. Haven't tried macro mode yet. Movie mode although short (15 & 30 seconds) is better than I would have thought before buying. Wish it had more optical zoom. I take a lot of out door shots and don't want to mess with add on lenses. Others complain about the soft focus of not only this but all Canons, but if you look at the other forums, they're all complaining about something specfic to their camera. Battery life w/NiMH seems pretty good. AR
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:46 PM   #5

I just applied the patch yesterday and focusing is definately clearer. Great patch, make sure you get it if your camera needs it.
brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:35 PM   #6

Default Canon A40 13.4mm Focus Patch

I checked out the patch download instructions and when I got to the section calling for the camera serial number I found that my camera has the label on the bottom of the camera but the space for the serial number is blank. There is a serial number on the box that when inserted in the download entry space it says I need the patch. My question is why does my camera not have a serial number on it and should I trust the number on the box to match the A40 I have? Any comments would be appreciated.
Marvin1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:38 PM   #7

Default Addition to previous post A40 patch

I forgot to mention that I bought the camera new and was in box when purchased.
Marvin1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:14 AM   #8

Can speak from first hand re: the A40. Spent many hours (helping sis. pick a cam.) reading dozens of pro and am reviews and playing around at stores with the diff. models I had narrowed it down too. Finally picked the A40 for several reasons. It had consistently high ratings for image quality by every reviewer I read and I found the controls to be very conveniently laid out and the menu's are intuitive and easy to use. My sister bought it and later reported that she is very happy with it and is comfortable nevigating through its various settings (she is far from tech savvy!). I have seen the picture quality and I am extremely impressed for a 2 mg cam at that price. I have had extensive use of a Fuji finepix 2600z, HP 618z, & Sony DCS-S75 ($500.) and for the money I can't think of anything that beats the A40.
A big caution on buying from the cheaply priced internet stores. Make sure to check the reviews of the people who have used the store and do not buy from any store without a very high rating. You take a significant risk of getting burned with long back-orders (even though they will tell you it is in stock), grey market camera's without warranty's and in some cases even refurbished cams being passed off for new.

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by Indyphinsfan]
Indyphinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 2:00 PM   #9

I bought a Canon A40 last Monday, sent beautiful pics via e-mail 2 days later. I have never used a digital cam before this and am nearly 77 years old. It's a great camera, chosen over many more expensive models.
rkhndjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 8:36 AM   #10

Currently looking hard at the A40 in UK - sounds good. One query I can't sort - is the Powershot A40 ZOOM the same model as the Powershot A40. There is a difference fo 50 in some cases, but I can't see both up for sale in the same source. My main worry is that one may not have a Digital Zoom.
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote