Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:09 PM   #1

Sometimes I press the shutter release and nothing happens. I have to wait a while, and then the camera is ready again. What can I do about that?

Also (and please tell me if this could be a potential solution to the delay problem)- I am thinking of buying an additional memory card. I have a 256 Lexar, but I'm going on a trip and I want to make sure I have enough memory to store 2 weeks of pictures.

TIA,
Jerry

jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:16 PM   #2

The good news is....the problem has been fixed in the new models. The A95 is typical of it's generation as far as speed goes- there's little you can do to speed the process up other than to prefocus and keep holding the shutter button down until it's time to actually take the picture. That's just what the state of the technology was whenthe A95was introduced. The AF on the A95, as I have seen when trying a friends,gets progressively worse as you move indoors, especially if you've zoomed the lens more towards the tele end.The new, currentmodels (A620 and A610) are extremely fast, both in terms of AF speed and processingdue to the new Digic II chip.

Now the bad news...these new models now accept onlySD cards, so in order to take advantage of the new technology you've got to buy new memory.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:17 PM   #3

could be the card, but what resolution you shooting at...at full res there is a lag (esp if flash is used), check out the reviews and see if it's in line.

256MB wouldn't last me more than a few days...this is easy to figure out though, take the resolution you want to shoot at and multiple it by the number of pics...then see what card(s) you need. Personally the sweet spot now is 1GB cards, the fast CF can be had for $50-75 and are great.

I have just one 1GB SD card for my A620. I had 4 256MB and 1 512MB and 1 ULTRA 512MB for my A70. In one week I filled a 512MB card mostly...but I wasn't taking a lot of shots during the day (Disney trip....just shooting our three cats at night in our room being stupid in new surroundings).

Å
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:28 PM   #4

Sounds like you are telling me I should upgrade to new hardware. That's not the worst idea in the world, but tell me-

What's the best way to go about doing it? Here I have one very nice A95, in good used condition. Where/how do I get a trade-in for a new (say) 620?

Jerry
jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:26 PM   #5

There should still be a (limited) market due to the fact no current compact digicams Canon makes accept CF cards anymore(I don't consider the G6 to be"compact").

I would completely rule out trading with a dealer. They might make you pay them to take it! Stores are into one thing when it comes to compacts- selling new ones.

Your best bet will be to check a website like eBay and see what second-hand A95's are selling for so you can determine a realistic price for one. You can post it for sale for free at some sites (if I give any names, Steve may yank this post), or sell iton eBay, where you'll get a lot of lookers and maybe one or two who really want it and overpay.

In the end compact digicams can be a difficult thing to sell, especially with the newer ones now being so much better. You need to find the biggest market place and then place it in the right categoryso someone looking for onewill actually be able to find it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote