Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:32 AM   #1

I tried the search and it seems there's been no real answer to this.
I know it's probably off by default, but with all the features my G3 has, I figured date stamping would be obvious.
Vestry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:13 AM   #2

Unless the dates are electronically removeable or you have a real need to put a date stamp on your photos, with digital cameras why do it? It ruins the photos and the dates can be stored with the photos on the archival media (CDs or DVDs).

Someday if you want to put a slideshow together, you will appreciate not having dates on the photos. (Unless, as previously mentioned, they can be electronically removed.)

Just one$.02 point of view, Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:57 AM   #3

You really need to either do it in Photoshop or another like programor use your printer software, if it is offered. My Canon i960's softwarewill do it, but as the above poster asks, why? The information is there in the file for you to refer to whenever. This isn't like the old film days where you need the date to know when you took the picture, unless your plans are to print the pictureand (yikes)not worry with keeping the image file.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:05 PM   #4

Well it's mostly for my parents who would appreciate having the date on the images when prints are made. So in sending them copies, they wouldn't know the date without a date stamp. Sending them CDs really isn't an option.Do I have any other options other than this i960 software? Could anyone please tell me more about it? Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:51 PM   #5

The software (arcsoft)that came with the camera should include the ability to type text or numbers on your photos if you don't already have a program like Photoshop CS2 or Elements. The camera does not have the ability to imprint the date on the image like afilm camera's databackcould, so it has to be done via software. You can, using theActions commandin Photoshop, create a "datestamp" where you just open the picture up and by simply clicking anywhere on the image with your mouseimprint a date or anything else on the file.

The software I was referring to with my i960 printer is the printersoftware. If you are printing the images at home, whatever printer you are using may have the ability to print the date on the imagesas you print the pictures- you'd just need to open the "properties" box within the printer driver to see if the option is there. If you are having them printed at a lab you need to set the date on the images first.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply.I'd like to know if there is software able to automatically read the image metadata containing the date and then "stamp" images with this information? I have to have a lot of my photos printed in a lab so doing it manually isn't all that attractive.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:34 PM   #7

Check with the lab and see if they have the ability to stamp the date on the back of the print.I don't know that they can, but it would be worth asking. You never know what's possible these days. I know from prints I've had made a WalMart, their equipment printsmy file numbers on the back of my prints.