Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:26 AM   #11

I have beenlooking at the A610 to replace my dead camera and just found this topic. Is this a common problem with this particular model as in it happens to all cameras of this model or something that happens randomly?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:15 PM   #12

I have exactly the same problem with my A610.Have someone found a solution for this problem? And does anyone know how to reset A610. Not reseting from menu. I'm talking about reseting like older cameras that we could just remove that internal battery and everything would just be as new!Tks.
kkmachado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:28 PM   #13

I have nearly eliminated all options I have considered in favor of this camera. Please someone tell if this is a too common problem. I am really falling in love with its features. :roll:
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:22 PM   #14

One of my friend's also has this camera but his one does not have this problem. So this problem exists but not in all cameras. Many people might not note this problems if they are using their camera quite often or some may think the battery charge is over and may just open and close the battery compartment and then it will turn on.
neerajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:37 AM   #15

As it was an irritant to open and close the battery compartment to make it turn on after prolonged rest, finally I have sent my camera to Canon factory service center.I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:55 PM   #16

Hi,

No problem here so far.

Perhaps it has something to do with the battery type?

I have had the camera for over a month now.

Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:47 PM   #17

Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps it has something to do with the battery type?
I tried both alkaline batteries and NiMH rechargeable ones (both fully charged) and had problem with them both.

- Neeraj
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:52 PM   #18

Any experience with lithium batteries? I ordered this camera and plan to use this type of battery often along with NiMH rechargeables.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:38 PM   #19

I'm beginning to think that Canon has real problems. My daughter and I were looking at an A520 in the store, and the thing was broken. When it was turned on, the lens would extend, but the little curtains covering the glass wouldn't fully retract. We thought that it might be just that the display model was abused by lots of people playing with it. She ended up buying one, and after three weeks, hers did the same thing. We exchanged it, and the second one seems to be OK (so far!) Since she is still in her 30 day return window, we decided to look at the A610 as well. In the last two days, we have found 2 of them (display models) where the lens will extend but the lens cover won't retract, and another one where the lens will retract when it is turned off, but the lens covers won't cover the lens. She's thinking seriously about returning this one as well and looking for another brand.

Neither of these malfunctions results in an error message, but there is still something very wrong. The salesmen all said that they don't have any more trouble with Canons being returned any more than any other makes. However, I think they might just be saying that to try to appease the customers.

I should point out that all of these display models are powered by external DC power supplies, so the type of battery installed is of no consequence. I'm sure that there are probably no batteries installed at all.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:19 PM   #20

I have seen this problem once with A520 that one of my friends own i.e. the curtains covering the glass wouldn't open fully. We thought it might be due to some dust particles getting inside this mechanical stuff. We forced it to open by touching it with finger and then blowing into it strongly a couple of times, then tuned on and off the camera a couple of times. After that it has worked ok for few months for ocassional use.

I don't think any of these problems are any thing to do with the type of battery/power used. If some one sees any frequent problem with lens mechanism, it is best to send camera to service center or exchange the camera if possible.

propwash wrote:
Quote:
I'm beginning to think that Canon has real problems. My daughter and I were looking at an A520 in the store, and the thing was broken. When it was turned on, the lens would extend, but the little curtains covering the glass wouldn't fully retract.

Neither of these malfunctions results in an error message, but there is still something very wrong.