Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:20 PM   #21

Any camera with an auto focus retractable lense is going to have these issues. If you want somthing reliable take all moving parts out of the equation. Its almost impossible to avoid these problems unless you havea fixed lense with no moving parts. Motors and gears are fragile and with our need for smaller and smaller and smaller we are getting into areas where failure is high because they are so tiny and fragile.

The only camera that is going to be reliable will take crap pictures.

We just have to take more care of these little devices. The more we bang em around and abuseem the higher the risk of failure. If you search e-bay for broken cameras, you will find canon is not the only company with these same types of problems.

Its so common with canon because they are the #1 selling P&S camera builder. Everyone i know has a canon. They are the best
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:12 PM   #22

Tovector this thread back more toward the original posting by Neeraj, I have quoted his original message below. The (no) power-up he describedwas quite real with my camera, was definitely time-dependent (failed onlyif left off for multiple days), was repeatable, and was not related to battery type or battery contacts (see my recent post on a careful experiment on this issue).

With this background, I wanted togive some good news. I now have a new A610 which has worked fine for a week, even after having been off for 3 days once, and 2 days in a second test. I was fortunate that I had bought my first A610 from the local Staples store and they were OK with exchanging it. The one I had a problem with will now end up back at Canon, and be sold as a "refurb" unit, I suppose. This is as it should be, since the problem was a manufacturing defect seen from day 1 (or day 3 as it were) and should not require a customer to send it in for repair! (IMHO).

The new camera - like the previous one when it was working - is awesome. I would definitely recommend it to others, with the caveat that maybe you should consider buying locally so you can take it back if it fails to power-up after a test of leaving it off for 2 or more days. Hope this helps those sitting "on-the-fence" wanting to know if the camera is OK to buy :-)

neerajs wrote:
Quote:
I have this camera for more than a month now. I am happy with the results but some times it does not power up when I press the power button (even repeatedly). When I face this problem I have to open up the battery compartment then close it to make it power up. This happens even with fully charged batteries. Has any one faced this issue?

- Neeraj Sharma
megawatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:37 PM   #23

I just got my A610 yesterday but have not put it down long enough to know. More than 200 test shots so far. :-) I am very impressed so far with it.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:36 PM   #24

Hi,

Can anyon give me the canon email id. I have a problem with my A610 and need to get it replaced.

Thanks
sangup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:06 PM   #25

I tried to put a link to canon usa support site but this forum does not allow me to do that. go to canon usa website and raise a service request under support.

sangup wrote: [/b]

Quote:
Hi,

Can anyon give me the canon email id. I have a problem with my A610 and need to get it replaced.

Thanks
neerajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:14 PM   #26

Atlast I got my camera back from Canon after service and now there is no power up problem. As per the service documents theyreplaced the entire main PCB assembly.Works good now.- Neeraj
neerajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:12 AM   #27

Hi everybody, I bought my canon A620 a few weeks ago and I'm experiencing the power problem too. I guess in a way I'm glad I'm not the only one but it's sort of frustrating to come across this problem when you wish the camera were perfect. I've been very pleased with the camera so far and I've sent an email off to canon and hopefully will get a response soon.

Basically I've tried using alkalines and NiMH batteries (2 different sets) and they all give me the same problems. It won't turn on regardless of how hard you push the button or how long you push it. I have to open the battery compartment and shut it again before the camera turns on. If the camera is turned off for more than 10 mins, the symptoms appear again.

I bought the camera from the states but I'm living in Canada so I hope Canon Canada will still accept my camera for repair. I've never gone through the warrenty process before. Does anybody know what the process is like in order to get Canon to repair the camera. All I've done is sent an email and registered an account on the www.canon.ca website. Thanks everybody for their feedback on this problem so far.
g1yanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:21 AM   #28

Some NIMH batteries are physically shorter than others, that seems to be a problem for S2is shooters. No problems with my 610 using energizer 2500s.
Roboshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:53 PM   #29

Hi everybody, well since my last post I've submitted my camera to an authorized canon repair service center and hopefully they can fix the problem. So far from their interpretation of my description of the problem the guy thinks it might have something to do with the black trigger switch at the base of the battery compartment that gets pushed each time you close the door, but I'm not so sure the problem is as simple as that. I do believe it is some sort of hardware problem though and not battery related. I'll keep you guys posted on this.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:11 PM   #30

Just called the photo store that is repairing my camera today. As was mentioned by neerajs, the service guy mentioned that the pcb assembly will have to be replaced. Hopefully it'll work like new when I get my camera back in 2 weeks