Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:21 AM   #31
O_T

Hi Folks. I purchased my A610 a couple of weeks ago and already have noticed the power-up problem. Only by opening the battery compartment and closing it will allow the camera to power up. And as the other posters here have said, it's time related. If I skip a day of use, the next day, the problem will be there.
What is the pcb assembly?

I might add that this is very disappointing, and quite frankly I would have not expected such a problem with Canon.

O_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:46 PM   #32

This is a random problem because I have had mine since January and have not observed this problem. Not that I put it away for too long but at least it has gone five days in a row unused and did not show this problem.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:59 PM   #33

Finally after 4 weeks in repair I finally got my A620 power problem fixed. I was really happy till i looked through my viewfinder and it's completely out of focus. Can't see anything out of the viewfinder except for a blurry blob. Looks like I'll have to return it again =( The problem with sending out your camera to be repaired is that they'll fix the problem but it could come back with another.
g1yanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:04 PM   #34
O_T

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration in dealing with this problem. I think I would request a new camera from Canon.
I also had asked what a "pcb" assembly is. Does anyone know?

O_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:07 PM   #35

PCB stands for printed circuit board. It's nothing but the board that contains the circuitry of the camera.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:31 PM   #36

Hey guys. Did these faulty 610's come from one place more then another? I need to get a 610 this week and will be getting it online. Would be nice info to knowfor kicks anyway.

Ed

btw - Steve - Taking the same pics with all cameras is great comparison when ya line em up in photoshop. Been using this site for a couple years easy. Thanks.
EddieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 2:07 PM   #37

EddieF wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys. Did these faulty 610's come from one place more then another? I need to get a 610 this week and will be getting it online. Would be nice info to knowfor kicks anyway.
Mine (I started this thread) came from Dell.
neerajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:34 AM   #38

My A610 is now back at Canon repair for the third time with this power up problem. It goes to sleep after not being used for a few days. They have returned it twice "leaned and checked". I called them and they sent me a prepaid return authorization. I enclosed all of the pages of this thread together with a letter describing the problem. Today I received a receipt confirmation and the defect was listed as "will not power up"

This made me livid. I called them and talked toservice explaining that they will not be able to fix the camera with that description of the symptom.

There obviously is a problem with some of these cameras and would like to think that they have seen it before and know how to either fix it or replace the camera.

I have nowowned the camera for 3 months and have had it in my posession fora total of 2 weeks.

I sure hope they do something to get me a working camera.

m.anonimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:11 PM   #39

How long did you keep the camera off for this to happen? I still think it could be a random problem because I have had mine for three months now and have never seen this.

It might be a manufacturing problem and only seen in cameras built at specific dates or location.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:37 PM   #40

Well, its almost Friday and didnt order it 1 doing alot of home repairs, 2 id be making a wrong move buying this camera it seems. Shame. Imreallynotinto rolling dice. Great to be able to exchange stories like this. Thanks.
EddieF is offline   Reply With Quote