Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:27 PM   #1

I have this camera for more than a month now. I am happy with the results but some times it does not power up when I press the power button (even repeatedly). When I face this problem I have to open up the battery compartment then close it to make it power up. This happens even with fully charged batteries. Has any one faced this issue?

- Neeraj Sharma
neerajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:15 PM   #2

Are you sure it isn't powering up, or do you maybe have the camera set to the review mode? If it is set to review, then when you power the camera up the lens will not extend. The LCD should light up. If you have it set to the record mode and nothings happening, and the batteries are good and are inserted correctly, then there's nothing more you can do other than to send it in to Canon for warranty work or replacement.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 1:44 PM   #3

neerajs wrote:
Quote:
I have this camera for more than a month now. I am happy with the results but some times it does not power up when I press the power button (even repeatedly). When I face this problem I have to open up the battery compartment then close it to make it power up. This happens even with fully charged batteries. Has any one faced this issue?
The A610 uses four AA batteries as I recall. This is a problem with AA battery contacts or even AAA,C or D cell battery contacts. How many times have you had to rap a flashlight on its side to get the light to come on. (Yes, Mag lights are more reliable due to their superior contact design but generally speaking.) How about your remote controls for your electronic equipment? Have you had to tap them or open the battery door and rotate them?

Proprietary batteries cost more than AA batteries but they seem to have better contact designs with less intermittent contact problems.

One trick we used to use when I was a computer tech was to use a really soft eraser like a pink pearl and erase the contacts on circuit boards. These were mainframe computers that had many plug in boards. Maybe buy a pink pearl eraser or one of those pencil sized eraser things (the ones with a white eraser that slides in and out) and erase the ends of your batteries and see what happens. Cheap enough to try.

From posts I've read, it seems that the A6x0 cameras have a mediocre battery contact design.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:59 PM   #4

No this happens in any of the modes. Even if the camera is in the review mode the power LED should turn on. As the other member Skylark has pointed out there seems to be a problem of bad design with the battery contacts. I have seen especially the design of negative contacts is not good. There is plastic in the center with very thin contact metal all around.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure it isn't powering up, or do you maybe have the camera set to the review mode? If it is set to
review, then when you power the camera up the lens will not extend. The LCD should light up. If you have it set to the record mode and nothings happening, and the batteries are good and are inserted correctly, then there's nothing more you can do other than to send it in to Canon for warranty work or replacement.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:12 AM   #5

I have the same problem with a 610 I bought a couple of weeks ago. As best I can tell (haven't done controlled experiments yet), the problem is time-sensitive. If it has been off a short time, it works fine, but if it has been off a day or two, I need to open the battery cover and reclose it. I have tried two sets of batteries. I have also tried pressing and pushing on the closed cover, figureing that if it was a bad contact, that would fix it. But it does not.

So... I emailed Canon yesterday and they replied today. They said I need to send it to their repair facility :-( Will try to let people know how this progresses. I offered the idea in my email that it is possibly a firmware issue, hoping they would have a download fix, but alas, apparently not...
megawatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:23 PM   #6

It seems that this is a common problem with Canon. I have had the same thing with S2 IS, and A70. Keeping the battery terminals clean (with eraser) seemsto help.
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:36 AM   #7

I have the a610 and this has happened to me a few times. Just in my case sometime the camera starts to power on,i.e. starts to extend the lens and then in the middle of it looses power and the lens remains stuck. If i open the batery compartment and close it, turn on the camera, the lens retracts and then fully extends,it's working. Is it the same problem. Has anyone experienced it with the lens stucking.
vlatkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:55 PM   #8

I have analyzed the problem and it appears to be time-sensitive as you said. When camera is off for more than 1-1/2 , 2 days or so, it would not power up (whatever number of times I press the power button). Once I open the battery compartment and close it, then it works fine. If I keep it off for long time again I have to open and close battery compartment to make it power up. Looks like some problem in the power supply section or circuit initialization some where. What do you guys recommend?

- Neeraj Sharma

megawatt111 wrote:
Quote:
I have the same problem with a 610 I bought a couple of weeks ago. As best I can tell (haven't done controlled experiments yet), the problem is time-sensitive. If it has been off a short time, it works fine, but if it has been off a day or two, I need to open the battery cover and reclose it. I have tried two sets of batteries. I have also tried pressing and pushing on the closed cover, figureing that if it was a bad contact, that would fix it. But it does not.

So... I emailed Canon yesterday and they replied today. They said I need to send it to their repair facility :-( Will try to let people know how this progresses. I offered the idea in my email that it is possibly a firmware issue, hoping they would have a download fix, but alas, apparently not...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:58 PM   #9

Since my original post, I have experimeted a bit more. I also nowbelieve it is definitely time-sensitive. That says to me that it may be a firmware issue (e.g. camera's microcontroller that monitors the on-buttongoes into a (buggy)deep-sleep mode to try toconserve battery more? - only guessing, but plausible). To try to rule out the other proposed cause (battery contacts), the last time it did it to me, I pushed and pulled on the battery cover a lot. I even slid the latch doorout part-way to "rub" the battery terminals (at least the ones at the door end - but this should have also moved the other end enough). Nothing helped until I allowed the door to pivot upward to the point where I assume it lost contact completely, causing a reset when I closed the door again - and of course it then worked. This *seems* to confirm that it is not a contact issue. (Neeraj: I recommend you email Canon. They will give you the instructions for sending the camera to the service folks. I suppose I'll besending mine this week. But I hate doing this with something I paid $300 for and is less than a month old!! :-( Guess I've become spoiled with how well and how longmost electronic productswork nowadays...

Please see myhappy ending to this story several posts down (on page 2 of this thread)

neerajs wrote:

Quote:
I have analyzed the problem and it appears to be time-sensitive as you said. When camera is off for more than 1-1/2 , 2 days or so, it would not power up (whatever number of times I press the power button). Once I open the battery compartment and close it, then it works fine. If I keep it off for long time again I have to open and close battery compartment to make it power up. Looks like some problem in the power supply section or circuit initialization some where. What do you guys recommend?

- Neeraj Sharma
megawatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:23 PM   #10

I spoke to Canon technical support today and they asked me to reset camera settings to factory defaults and see if it helps else they have asked me to ship it to service center. I will probably do it in coming weeks.