Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:55 PM   #1

Giving or receiving a compact or sub-compact camera for Christmas and don't have a bag yet? Here's a way to make a quick one for your camera (or cell phone) until you have time to buy a better one.

1. Get a thick long sock (we all have one that lost its mate don't we).

2. Cut the sock right above the heel.

3. Take the upper part and turn it inside out.

4. Wind some string around the sock on the heel side and tie it.

5. Turnit inside out.

6. You just made a camera or cell phone bag.

Merry Christmas to all, and happy shooting!
Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:01 AM   #2

Do you have any pictures of this? I've read through the instructions a couple times, and I'm having difficulty seeing how this would be any better than just sticking the camera in an old sock without alterations.

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

EwanG wrote:
Quote:
Do you have any pictures of this? I've read through the instructions a couple times, and I'm having difficulty seeing how this would be any better than just sticking the camera in an old sock without alterations.
We started off using regular sized socks for our (wife and me) cell phones about a year ago. Too big soI bought small socksand they worked OK but were a wee bit clumbsy due to the angle in the socks. With the modified sock method described, the advantages are:

1. Bag is straight from end to end with no angle. Does not even look like a sock.

2.Can be cut to just the right length to allow fully enclosing the camera or cell phone with about 1 to2 inches extra.

3. Very easy to get camera or cell phone out due to straight sides.

Withan unmodified sock:

1. The cell phones were deep in the sockand they had to be "worked" out of the sock or hung upside down and the sock jiggled to get the cell phone past the heel portion. Jiggling unside down is dangerous for dropping the cell phone. (had not used for compact cameras yet)

2.If small socks were used, the heel portion of the sock was in the middle of the cell phone and made the fit "uncomfortable".

3. It looks like a sock..... :-)
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote