Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1

I picked up the Canon S2 IS last week with the intention of using it almost exclusively for sports, particularly indoor sports.* I'v discovered how to take exceptional indoor and outdoor shots at night and have been impressed with the camera in some respects, but today I took it to the gym and was thoroughly dissapointed with its performance there.I tried shooting on the Tv mode with a shutter speed of 1/1250, 1/1600 and a few others.* The gym itself is FULL of light and if I shoot in AUTO mode I get great shots with lots of color and detail, though of course the motion of the athletes is completely blurred.* If I turn to Tv mode I just get a black frame.* If I shoot with the flash in this mode, which is what it seems to be forcing me to do, I can stop the athletes perfectly, but the shot now has washed out competitors and a black background.* What am I doing wrong here?* Why so much light in the auto mode but none in Tv at any shutterspeed?This shot was at like 1/1600 with the flash.* Without the flash there was nothing but a black screen.This shot was just taken in auto mode.* It's a little blurry since I was panning around, but you can see how much light there was...* ample amounts.* *Of course, when shooting the players there was lots of light and detail but the players were blurry.* Any help would be great guys.
Sporty G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2

Check the stats on the auto noflash shot - look below the histogram, and it will tell you what settings the camera selected. I suspect the shutter speed to be in the 1/60 range, which allows lots of light in, definately more than 1/1250 would.

Try shots w/o flash in the gym at around 1/500 - That may be dark as well, but hopefully not all black, and this will show you the shutter needs to be open longer to let the light in

Also make sure your WB is changed from auto to better reflect the lighting conditions of the gym

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:28 PM   #3

SMP homer has given you a good start. Please come back with your results.

Oh yes- you might punch up your ISO a notch.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:45 PM   #4

Gidday,

Most likely your "Safety Shift "option in the menu is tuned ON -this means that you are allowing the cam to choose settings which it thinks are appropriate.When turned OFF the cam will shoot at what you tell it to.

If your screen is black it means you will get a black pic (this goes for when you have the flash activated as well)- so you have to slow the shutter till you get an acceptable pic on the screen.

That first shot would have would have defaulted to 1/500(the max)with the flash.And your AUTO shots will boost the ISO and lower the shutter speed(thus the blurring and brighter pic).

Acceptable indoor pics are very hard with low ISO cams - you could maybe try ISO200, lowest f-stop f2.7,and adjust you shutter to suit in Manual Mode.But will have to run your pics thru a noise removal program eg.Neat Image to get MAYBE acceptable pics.Depends on what YOU will accept.

Another thing - if you are panning(good idea by you)put the IS on panning mode and high speed continuos shooting mode and you will get sharper shots of moving players.

Cheers Dom

roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5

Thanks a TON for the feedback guys!* I'm gonna give your suggestions a whirl!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:05 PM   #6

Alright guys, I went to a Seattle Sonics basketball game (against the Miami Heat) and got some shots.I shot in Tv mode with the shutterspeed set to 1/1600 and with Safety Shift ON....* most shots were zoomed in quite far and we were sitting in the 17th row.* Please, let me know what you think of these!~......
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:06 PM   #7

I should mention, the grain was the result of shooting at ISO 200.*
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:32 AM   #8

Well done Sporty - they look OK.Thanks for the feedback and settings.Love the expressions on the spectators.

Once you get more familair with the cam it can only get easier.

Do you think you will get a noise removal program - good idea if you will be printing these out?

Cheers Dom
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:09 AM   #9

Noise removal program?* I wasn't really aware that such things existed.* Anything good for OS X?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:29 AM   #10

Hey Sporty

I have'nt used any myself as most of my keepers are outdoor shots and i'm not that critical,but there are a few to choose from eg Neat Image , Noise Ninja- here is a perfect example

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=88

If you are happy with the pics as they are and you're not printing big you shouldn't worry about it - and those photos above look fine to me - it's just you mentioned you could see some grain.

Ithink you may be able to demo them before buying.

OS X?? Is that XP - no worries

Cheers Dom