Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:45 PM   #1

I have a canon a610 for 1 week and it's working well but today two times the camera just turned off i.e. the LCD went off, the power light was off but the lens did not retract. I had to turn on the camera again and it worked ok. The batteries are new and freshly charged Has this happened to anyone?
vlatkovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:03 AM   #2

Nothing to worry about! This is simply the power saving mode, which kicks in after a certain time and can be configured with the setup menu. Half press the shutter button and the LCD screen will return.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:26 AM   #3

I don't think that is it. The problem happened to me while using the camera and everything shut down except th lens didn't retract. I left the camera turned on on the desk today to see if the power saving was the cause. It isn't the same procedure. In power saving the lcd first turns off then after a while the camera turns off and retracts the lens. In my case everything turned off at the same time and the lens didn't move.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:22 AM   #4

I don't have an A610m but a Powershot S1 IS and the S1 behaves similarily as the A610. If you do nothing with the camera for a while, the LCD or the EVF is turned off. At first, I was concerned as you, but then I realised that the camera comes back immediately if I touch the shutter button a little. Now I like this feature. Canon cameras are the undisputed champions, when you want to get the most out of your batteries.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5

It happened again and the problem is a little different than i described. When i "press the off button" the lcd goes off, the power light goes off but the lens doesnt retract. The camera is off but the lens is extended. When i press the on/off button again the lens retracts and then extends, i.e. the camera powers on.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Does this mean that you can't retract lense? Does this problem persist with a fresh set of batteries? While cheap NiMH work very well for my Powershot S1, one should always use a high quality charger. NiMH batteries are very sensitive against overcharging and this may easily happen with a cheap charger. Also, if you have new batteries, you need about 5 charge cycles to get the maximum battery capacity.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7

Yes the lens does not retract. This has happened 3 times in one week. I dont know if the batteries are the problem. I would try fresh alkaline batteries but the problem is that they won't prove anything because this happens rarely. So i can deplete the alkaline batteries and not know if the problem didn't happen because of the alkaline batteries or because it simply didn't occur.

Anyway i have a high quality 2500mah powerex batteries and a maha 204w smart charger
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8

Hmm, if the problem occurs so rarely, you can't demonstrate it to people, from which you bought the camera. If it's not the battery (winter is very tough on batteries), it may also be a firmware issue.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:53 PM   #9

im having the same problem BUT is not rarely.. happens lot of times....
anyone can advise?
thanks
heliorodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:27 PM   #10

That typically happens when the batteries run out. I've noticed NiMH will behave in quite unpredictable modes. The best is when you get a low battery warning then batteries are depleted after a few more shots. However, that appears to be the exception. Sometimes the batteries will go dead and camera will power down, perhaps with the lens still extended (not enough power to retract).
I would do one of two things:
a) Try another set of NiMH's if you have them.
b) Slip in a set of Alkalines.

I got over 140 shots in A95 with alkalines and they were not depleted. 60 shots is too few unless you are taking upto 3 months to take deplete them. MiMH's do not hold their charge well. (Note, new eneloop seem to fix this problem).

If one of the above fixes the problem, one or more cells may be marginal.
Dave Cohen
Dave Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote