Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:32 PM   #1

Hi. I'm a very amateur photographer and I have just gotten a Canon S2 IS. I've taken a lot of pictures so far, experimenting with some modes and changing some settings, but a lot of my images have a lot of noise in them. I notice more in darker color areas even when the images seem sharp. I've used the auto mode a lot too.

Also I was resizing the pictures and noticed the resolution was 72. Is that low? I've heard 300 is the minimum for good printability and 72 seems like a web-resolution.

Any help would be much appreciated. I still have a lot to learn from this camera. Thanks!
theroaringeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:34 PM   #2

Hi,

Maybe try taking your pics in "P" mode - this will let you control the ISO which in turn controls the noise.Auto will usually choose a higher ISO.With any small CCD cams you will get noise in the shadows - not too noticable at print size A4.

The DPI has been discussed before and i still don't understand what all the fuss was about - but the conclusion was that the number did'nt matter - you still have the same resolution pic and printing DPI is up to the printer eg. 300 , 600 , whatever.
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3

All small sensor cameras seem to suffer more from visible noise in underexposed areas. If you compare S2 samples to a DSLR's you can really see a huge difference in noise in the shadows.

You can get software that removes noise such as Neat Image or Noise Ninja. I haven't tried these yet - so I can't comment on how good they are.

One way to avoid noise is overexpose the image and adjust it later; another is to take multiple exposures at different settings and combine them; or take multiple exposures and average them. Here is an excellent summary:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/noise.htm
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:07 AM   #4

If you have insufficient light and you are not using flash in AUTO mode, the camera will make the sensor more sensitive, i.e. increase the ISO. In my humble opinion, ISO 400 is largely unusable on this camera. And the S2 in AUTO mode is far too quick to shoot up the ISO when you don't have the flash raised.

My personal recommendation is that you NEVER use AUTO. At least use P and set your ISO manually (50 is the best). While 50 and 100 yield good results, inlower light situations where you cannot use flash, I would try to fix thelightingfirst before bumping the ISO.

One other recommendation, to get the most out of your S2, you really need to understands the basics of exposure (this way you will know which setting (Av, Tv, or M to use in what situation and at what ISO). Luckily, there is an excellent set of tutorials for beginner and novice photographers online (free) found here:

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...tutorials.html

Enjoy your camera.

Risky Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5

Risky Business wrote:
Quote:
If you have insufficient light and you are not using flash in AUTO mode, the camera will make the sensor more sensitive, i.e. increase the ISO. In my humble opinion, ISO 400 is largely unusable on this camera. And the S2 in AUTO mode is far too quick to shoot up the ISO when you don't have the flash raised.

My personal recommendation is that you NEVER use AUTO. At least use P and set your ISO manually (50 is the best). While 50 and 100 yield good results, inlower light situations where you cannot use flash, I would try to fix thelightingfirst before bumping the ISO.

One other recommendation, to get the most out of your S2, you really need to understands the basics of exposure (this way you will know which setting (Av, Tv, or M to use in what situation and at what ISO). Luckily, there is an excellent set of tutorials for beginner and novice photographers online (free) found here:

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...tutorials.html

Enjoy your camera.

Quote:
I agree completely. I was experimenting with my S2last night andmy results over ISO 100 werenot good. I wastesting the Tv and Av modes withthe various ISO settings and only the 50 and 100 settingswere of much value.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote