Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 9, 2003, 8:43 AM   #1

Default Second A40 - Won't switch to data transfer mode

Hope someone has an idea of what may be wrong. Long story short...sorta. I got the A40 at Walmart for 198.00 on clearance. Got it home, loaded fresh batteries and snapped a few pictures. Installed the software on XP Pro and then connected the USB cable AFTER the software was installed - standard procedure for new USB devices. Well, it worked the first time. I was able to download and view the pictures. Disconnected the camera and later that evening reconnected to the computer - No luck. It wouldn't go into data transfer mode.

Then something else happened. The lens extended while I was fiddling with it and seemed to have gotten stuck! I could hear the drive motors trying move it and then the display showed a error code E17 or E18. After another hour or so I got frustrated and just decided to return it for exchange on another one.

I called around to the Walmarts in my area and found the last one in my area at a store 30 minutes away. Walmart gladly exchanged mine for one that was new in the box that had never been opened. Got it home and after uninstalling the software, cleaning the registry and removing the old .inf files tried to start fresh.

The same thing still happens on this new camera. It will not switch to data transfer mode. Windows XP Pro shows it as a unknown USB device that has malfunctioned. I even tried updating the driver manually by pointing to the .inf file. It finds it but won't display the camera model. Hence, I can not proceed with a manual driver update. I have heard of some similar problems and that Canon's QC is questionable but, 2 cameras in a row seems really strange. I do computer networking as a profession and have tried installing this camera on 4 of my 6 PCs on the home LAN so I have a good idea of what I am doing. It really seems to be a problem with the camera. Maybe I should just pick up a CF reader and forget about the USB problem (everything else works fine). I don't seem to have the focus problem on the right side of images on this new one and would hate to have it come back from service with something else wrong. However, I forked out the bucks - It should work.

Any Ideas...?

Thanks!
bclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:50 AM   #2

Have you tried calling the Canon support desk? The one in Canada seems very helpful. Are the drivers XP compatible (Version 4.1.0) ?
Are you using the latest Zoom Browser (Version 4.0.2) ?
Here are the updates:
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...windowsxp.html
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...riverdown.html
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorRon
Have you tried calling the Canon support desk? The one in Canada seems very helpful. Are the drivers XP compatible (Version 4.1.0) ?
Are you using the latest Zoom Browser (Version 4.0.2) ?
Here are the updates:
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...windowsxp.html
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/...riverdown.html
I have not called Canon yet but have upgraded the WIA driver and Zoom Browser. With the camera connected, Zoom Browser does not even recognize it. The A40 just displays the review screen even with the USB cable hooked up. Got a dazzle CF reader for 19 bucks and will be hooking it up later tonight. I'll give support a call and see what they say too... Thanks for the advice
bclapper is offline   Reply With Quote