Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

I have a Canon ZR45MC purchased mid-2002. I'm pretty much a newbie regarding MMC cards; there's a lot I don't know and this is my first problem with anything.

A couple of days ago I turned it on and got the "card error" message.

I followed the procedure described in the manual -- recycle the power, remove/reinsert the card -- with no luck.

Consulting with a fellow ZR owner here in town, the guess was that the card had died, so I bought two 512mb MMCs from crucial.com (same as my G4 memory).

Powering up the ZR45 after installing the new card still produces the "Card Error" message, and re-trying the procedure didn't do anything.

I've read a tech note at the Canon site, at
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...p;modelid=9738
which describes the file structure and explains a problem that occurs with cards with capacities >32mb and Windows "FAT32" format (I'm running a G4 with MacOSX 10.3.7), and describes formatting the card.

I've also read some mention here of reformatting the card, and I was curious to know how this is done. One post mentions formatting the card "with the camera", but am unable to find any kind of tools like that on the CD that the ZR45 shipped with (which also, btw, only contains MacOS "Classic"-versions of the utilities).
flugennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:31 PM   #2

Just to follow up: I pulled the manual and found the procedure for formatting in the camera. Didn't appear to work.

The original, seemingly "dead" card was the 8mb card that shipped with the ZR45; the replacement cards are 512mb each, from crucial.com. When attempting to reformat the new cards, it got about a second into the procedure and then bailed out with the "Card Error" message.
flugennock is offline   Reply With Quote