Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:49 AM   #1

One of the problems of having a long zoom with IS is you're tempted to try things you haven't done before :-)

So, I've been trying to get a good shot of a full moon the last few mornings (easier to do early morning since I'm out the door at 5am most days), and while the size of the moon seems like it will look nice, I can't seem to get the S2 to focus worth a darn. I'm guessing I need to either force it to focus on "Infinity", or is the problem that a full moon is too bright?

TIA,
Ewan

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:21 AM   #2

The full Moon is basically a "bright sunlight" scene, so you can apply the "Sunny 16" rule for exposure (1/ISO at f/16, trading off to get aperture within your lens' range). As far as focus goes, with my Minolta Z1 it's "hit or miss" using autofocus--sometimes it locks on, sometimes not--and if not, I'll focus manually.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:12 PM   #3

Manual focus to infinity is a must for the S2 (as well as a tripod). Try using Time priority mode at about 1/250s. Use spot metering as well.

Here's what I got last week...
Attached Images

leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:00 AM   #4

Nice moon Leonard

You can do handheld if you use continuos shooting in bursts of 3 or 4 - one should turn out OK.I use Manual - f5 to f7,adjust shutter to suit and spot meter on edge of moon for focus.3/4 ,1/2 , 1/4 moons turn out better - get more detail than full moons.

I would like to get a half decent telescope for the moon and planets - one day

This was 1/125 at f5using OlyTcon17handheld,continuos shooting(4 shots)- cropped and sharpened
Attached Images

roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:31 PM   #5

roxydog, that's a nice shot. I like the darker exposure... I'll have to try out that shutter speed and aperature. What kind of camera did you use? Do you recommend the Tcon 17? I'm interested in the Tcon for my S2.
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:54 AM   #6

Hey Leonard

I used the S2 and Tcon17 for that shot - it's the only converter i have but it has a good working range compared to others tested with the S2.Vignetting stops just above 3X zoom so you can leave it on most times ,of course it will enhance any CA that you would get normally on high contrast subjects.

As to the exposure that was luck-or the cam metered well for auto WB - most moon shots i take (even with FZ5 or OlyC770) are a dirty yellow - would take it in B&W but i don't like the color.

I'm waiting for a guy at Dpreview Forum to test a Sony 1.7X on his S2 to see how it goes - would be a better choice than the Tcon if it works as it is a 58mm thread,and would fit the standard or Lensmate adapters without steprings.I made my own 55mm adapter.

I'll keep you up to date as soon as he reports in.

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:22 AM   #7

, here's mine with H1
Attached Images

airjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:26 PM   #8

In the past (on several cameras), i have used INFINITY for the focus and set the shutter speed to around 1/350, full zoom. I also use the timer and a tripod.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote