Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1

I just received my new canon powershot sd450 and was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with these cards? I had a Sony camera and the lag time between shots was terrible. I was in the camera store and tried the SD550 and delay between shots was not even noticeable. I could keep taking shots (with flash) one after another. I want those same results in my SD450.

I saw some postings that most digital cameras can't take advantage of the faster write speeds. the camera processor becomes the bottleneck. Then I read a posting where someone thought the transcend card would actually yield "continuous" shooting or what would appear to be very minimal lag time between shots?

if anyone has a canon powershot SD model and can speak to their experience that would be most appreciated. the price difference between these two cards is minimal and I want to make sure I am getting the BEST performance and most RELIABLE.

Sandisk Ultra II 1GB 66x vs Transcend 1GB SD 80x

will I really see a performance diff between the two?

hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2

I've never used the Sandisk Ultra II, but have heard nothing but great things about it. Many websites and magazines use this card when testing the cameras for reviews and benchmarks. They are Multiple Level Cell. Canon support says that they recommend Sandisk brand disks for their cameras. The disks that are often included in Canon camera disks are made by Sandisk, but carry the Canon label.

I've owned two 1Gb Transcend 80x SD cards for my Canon S2 IS. for about a week now. So far the cards have been working great for me. They easily handle continuous shooting at the Large-Superfine setting. I can shoot continuously until the card is filled up with absolutely no lag time. They don't hiccup at all when shooting video. There are actually only 3 or 4 main producers of SD cards (Sandisk, Toshiba, and another I can't remember now). Many of the brands you see are just re-branded. Some of the "off" brands may buy from several manufacturers, so it can be tough to know which manufacturer your card came from without looking at the card itself for identifying characteristics. Transcend cards are made by the Sandisk, and are Single Level Cell, which means they are more reliable, less prone to errors, and are likely more compatible with different devices than Multi-Level Cell cards. I think they also have a 5 year warranty.

Whatever brand card you get, I recommend that you get at least two. If you think you will only need a total of 1Gb of storage, you may want to get two 512MB cards instead of one 1Gb card. That way, if one card dies on you, you will lose fewer pictures, and you'll have a backup with you that you can use to continue shooting.

I got two 1GB Transcend cards because they were so cheap on Newegg (about the price of a 512MB Sandisk card at other sites).
CamHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:25 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. your comment on continuous shooting interests me. I know one of the biggest let downs for digital cameras was the lag time. so you are saying with the transcend 1gb sd 80x speed that you can hold the button down and have your camera take pictures consecutively (with no noticeable lag time) until the card fills up.

are you in burst mode? what resolution? are you using flash?

I am planning on using this card in my sd450 and I heard the digic processor becomes the bottleneck. sounds like the transcend would outperform the ultra II sandisk or I would not even notice because the perf is so close?
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:01 PM   #4

Hi, I doubt you will notice a difference between the two cards. I would be willing to bet that 66x is much faster than the camera is capable of utilizing. I use a Kingston Elite card at 50x and have no problems in the high speed continuous mode with my S2.
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:19 AM   #5

My Canon S2 IS is a 5 megapixel camera and is capable of writing about 2.4 frames per second in burst mode. Your SD450 is a 5 megapixel camera and shoots 2 fps. Both cameras have a Digic II processor that allows fast write speeds, as long as the SD card can keep up with it. I'm shooting at the highest quality setting, Large/Superfine (maximum resolution, minimum compression). If the average file size at this setting is 2.5 MB, that means the write speed of the SD card needs to be at least 6 MB per second to keep up with the camera. I think the 50x Sandisk Ultra II has a write speed of 9MB per second, which means it can keep up with my camera and then some. So, naturally, the 66x version of the Sandisk and my 80x Transcend cards would have no problem keeping up the camera, but would likely provide no additional speed when taking pictures in your camera. However, the faster cards have faster read speeds also, so you will be able to download the pictures to your PC faster.

When I was looking for cards to buy I was only looking for something that was at least 50x. I just happened to find the Transcend, which was faster, less expensive, and had more storage than the Sandisk Ultra II that I was originally planning to buy.

There are cards rated at 150x and higher, but that is overkill, and, besides, there are reliability and compatibility issues with many of those cards.

When you shoot in continuous mode with the flash enabled, the speed greatly decreases, but not because of the SD card (the file sizes are about the same as they would be if the flash were off). The lag is due to the time it takes for the flash to recharge between shots. I don't know how long the recharge time is for the SD450, but having fresh, powerful batteries (2500 mAh rechargables recommended) will help keep it to a minimum.
CamHam is offline   Reply With Quote