Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:19 AM   #11

Hi Chevy

You would rarely use the manual focus on the S2 - too awkward and auto focus usually works quite well,especially when your subject is well defined.It really does sound like you are talking about DOF-not focus.

There is a focus bracket on the S2 which you probably would use on macro mode,but could be used otherwise for some other reason normally - i don't know what.There are a couple of photos on my gallery when you click my name if you want to have a look - most of the bird photos are with the added converter.

The max focal length is 454mm which i think may be your 12X multiplied by 38mm equivalent - the stated 432mm is 36mm equivalent

Nice bird shots Mchnz - and no reason to use manual focus on that.

Good luck Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:57 AM   #12

Hi, the problem with many of these digicams when it comes to manual focus is that the displays are not resolute enough to determine if your subject is in focus. This is where a dSLR will excel.
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:03 AM   #13

So do you mean that the real problem is not the ring or buttons focus but the LCD/EVF?

I read that in this kind of cameras..(as fz20/fz30..) the focus ring do not commands lens but just give the order to the comera to move lens...the same of up/down arrows..is it true??
Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:44 AM   #14

Quote:
So do you mean that the real problem is not the ring or buttons focus but the LCD/EVF?
Exactly, in my opinion ofcourse. Ring or no ring, the displays are the weakest link. I would recommend that whatever camera you choose has a high pixel count in the EVF if manual focus is a priority.

Quote:
I read that in this kind of cameras..(as fz20/fz30..) the focus ring do not commands lens but just give the order to the comera to move lens...the same of up/down arrows..is it true??
That is correct, the focus is still electronically controlled, but I would imagine the ring does make it nicer to control.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:57 AM   #15

ok, thanx!

So there is not a big difference between the S2is and another compatc with focus ring as the panasonic fz20/30?

The only cameres that have a serious manual focus seems to be the dSRL..right??

I'm asking that just because I thought to take the fz20 instead the S2is just for the focus ring..but I don't like the panasonic as the canon!
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:30 PM   #16

Quote:
So there is not a big difference between the S2is and another compatc with focus ring as the panasonic fz20/30?
I don't think you'll find much of a difference between the S2 and the FZ20 when it comes to the manual focus department. Now the FZ30 is a slightly different beast. It is a large 8 MP camera. It does have a higher resolution EVF (230,000 pixels) than the S2 or FZ20. This might make a difference in the ability to see if you are in focus.

Quote:
The only cameres that have a serious manual focus seems to be the dSRL..right??
You got it.

Quote:
but I don't like the panasonic as the canon!
Ya, I'll buy a panasonic DVD player, but I'll put my money on Canon for cameras. I would recommend you go to a camera store and play with both cameras if possible.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:03 PM   #17

DSLR are just cash grabs. For over twenty years we have used Pro Video Cameras with video displays ( wich were PRICEY ). Now all of a sudden video displays are no good and DSLR is. Give me a BREAK ~!
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:32 PM   #18

leonard wrote: "I don't think you'll find much of a difference between the S2 and the FZ20 when it comes to the manual focus department."

I own both and can attest that manual focus on both is frustrating, at best. I prefer the Canon mainly because of its smaller size, better video capability, the articulated LCD, and that it uses AA batteries. Otherwise, they're both excellent non-DSLR cameras.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 6:41 PM   #19

On the rare where manual focus is necessary for selective/high precision, such as macro photography - the relatively low resolution of a LCD /EVF may be insufficient for really fine control. On the other hand, my old OM2-SP SLR, provides plenty of good feedback via a bright optical display. The augument that it's good enough for video doesn't count - video is generally of much lower quality and doesn't need such levels of precision.

I have read the FZ30 has a higher resolution EVF, this may make a difference, I don't know about the FZ20.

It would be wise to test the FZ20's LCD/EVF before accepting them as sufficent for the tasks you expect of them.

DSLR's cannot be lightly dismissed - being able to obtain images with much lower noise levels is reason enough to consider paying more. But using my S2 IS requires much of the same processes and thinking involved in using my old SLR: so what ever a FZ20/FZ30/S2 teaches you will be useful if you ever feel the need to move to a DSLR.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:10 AM   #20

Thanx to you all. Yes the fz30 has a better resolution of MP and LCD/EVF..but It seem to be really to noisy!

I'll surely try theese camereas in a shop..but I already know that I'll love the canon!

And how does work the flexizone system? Is it usefull to make strongly different focus sets during photograp..?

I just need a camera the let me decide what is in focus a what no...and not only in macro mode!