Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:24 AM   #1

Hi guys! I'm a new memeber and I want to say "HELLO" to all you!:-)

I'm from italy and a I want to make my first steps in semipro photography! I had a kodak dx6340, I made some good photos and learnt basics of this art!

Now i'm looking to a better camera, with more creative opportunities! I think the S2IS is the right one..what do you think?

The main thing I need is a good MANUAL FOCUS system..I want to use is to make artistic photos with focus very limited to the subject! (with the kodak it was possible only in macro mode).

Is it this function good on the S2IS? I ask you if the LCD and the selection of focus via buttons is "enought professional" and let produce good and various results!

Thanx a lot to anybody who'll reply me!

Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 9:21 AM   #2

Forget about the S2 you will get nothing but grief out of it. The S2 is NOT a manuel focus camera, it has buttons ( LOTS OF BUTTONS ) but that is all. This is NOT a camera for you if you want manuel control.

You want a camera with a focus ring so that you can hang on to and adjust the focus ( I WISH I HAD THAT ).
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

So do you mean that I need a camera with Focus ring?? the only one I can get seems to be the Fz20...

Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:00 PM   #4

Sounds like you want more control over depth of field - instead of, or as well as focus.

The ability to control how far in front and behind the subject will be in focus is determined by the size of the aperture. So you're probably looking for a camera with a wide range of apertures and an AV mode that allows you to control it.

The S2 has an AV mode. It's pretty full featured with manual controls. It does have a learing curve, but those who put in the effort seem to really like it.

It is correct that the S2 IS only has manual focus via up/down style buttons, and that if you want to shift focus toward and away from the central subject a manual-focus ring might make things easier.

On another note, the S2 is a superzoom - do you need a zoom this big, or would something like Canon A610 and A620 be accepatable - these would allow wider shots (still no manual focus ring however - just buttons)?

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 7:29 PM   #5

Consider the Fuji 9000, I think that has a manual zoom.

I have just got my S2 and am really enjoying it, the most i will ever want manual for will be to photograph birds sitting within a tree and i dont want the auto focus to lock onto the outer branches - I think the S2 will be fine for that sort of thing
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:05 PM   #6

What ever camera you decide on buying MAKE SURE it has a manuel foucus RING !

A camera is ONLY a toy if it does not have manuel control. Don't make my mistake, auto foucs is a must for emergencies or............. other wise manuel is the way to go.

Those computer chips will never beat your eyes.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:30 AM   #7

Actually in the FZ30 and the S2 IS, your eye will be looking at chips - these cameras don't have true through-the-lens viewfinders, the viewfinder is a small limited-resolution display. When on manual focus the display shows an enlarged center - but I'm not sure this is good enough for the really fine control that an artistic effect might require. A DSRL with an optical viewfinder would give you the best feedback.

But as I mentioned before, perhaps what want is control over the depth of field, not the actual focus?

Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:48 AM   #8

hi, thax for your replies! I do not need just a camera with manual aperture...I had it but now I want to select focus in some photos manually, not only the depth of field and exposure!

I want a manual focus for:

1)adjust focus in macro mode..don't let the camera do all the work!

2)Using zoom to carch far subjects as animals, I want to centre the focus on the subject. For example shotting a far bird making an effect as in macro mode..so I think manual mode is necessary!

3)make some artistic effects in portraits and photos of cities or cars...

I know the up/down arrows are not as usufull as the ring, but do you think that results cannot be comparables?

Another question..wich is the maximum focus distance before setting infinite??
Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:08 AM   #9

For a full range or artistic control I suspect you're going to want a DSRL.

For a start, these small non-DSLR cameras produce quite noisy images in low light.

And in the case of birds, DSLR or not, you are likely to have to maximise shutter speed at the cost of all other factors - zooms need light. And the zoom on the S2 and the FZ30 is only sufficient for photographing birds from close up, not far away. For example this was shot with an S2 IS at about 4 or 5 metres (more examples can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ ).

Old Jan 21, 2006, 3:25 AM   #10

Hi..I really like your photos..My target is tobe able in future tocatch similars shots..so I think what you done with your Canon s2 is great job..really better of what I can do!

But how did you adjusted focus in your photos? Manul or auto?

And why focal lenght is 441? I read the maximun in 432!

I would like to have a dSLR, but i cannot spend so much money (i'm a student) and I lost my compact camera. So in need a new one more prof. but that let me take a lot of easy and fast shots when I'm with freinds