Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:15 PM   #11

I have the camera since today. It it work super (still have to experiment with all the manual settings ) The S2 is a very good camera, even in auto-mode (for beginners)

I don't see what is bad about it, it works great and the images are sharp. However you need to keep the camera pretty still and then it works !

Regards,

Maurice
PS. This shot was made with 12 x zoom, what is bad about it? I think the quality is superb. And it was my 4th picture with this new cam !
Attached Images

ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:59 PM   #12

Maurice, lovely dog, nothing wrong with the shot at all. just over 2 years ago, many of us wereshooting with film (manywith compacts)and enjoying the prints thatwe collected from thehigh street lab,frankly most of us were hppily oblivious to much of what is now common discussilon on internet boards.

Digital cameras have furthered one hobby and created another. firstly there appears a new enthusiasm for photography, with a much wider spread of technical knowledge amongst the population.

Secondly, we have anew hobby that centres upon critical analysis, it's great, you can look fornoise, softness, sharpness, purple fringing,criticise every shot, examine all photos at 100% magnification on monitors,worry about things that will never show up in print and gain a sense that all camera ownership is part of a journey to getting a 'proper camera' - a DSLR !!!!.

I don't bother too much with the latter and neither should you, the dog looks great and would make a splendid print.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:26 PM   #13

One last question:

Which program do you use to compress those GAINT avi files to a much compacter format?

Thanks,

Maurice
P.S. Stitching is really fun !!! (Image of our "snowy" Kerkrade)
Attached Images

ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:46 PM   #14

Setiprime says:
The S2 is an excellent "all purpose" camera, and that is what Canon designed it for. As a pure 'sports' camera, look to another model.
Sports are one thing that influenced me to select the s3 (mainly my son trying to get decent pictures at ballgames). Not the only consideration but a significant one. If you were getting a mid-price consumer camera like this only for sports, which would you choose? (I can see what the pro's use at the games, and obviously I'm not trying to be in their league.)
ChrisBrewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 4:48 PM   #15

Are you referring to the new Canon S3?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:41 AM   #16

woow there is some heat in this forum.

Umm for sporting i would have thought the s2 would be fine for this sort of use. ofcousrse i am assuming that the sport would be taking place outdoor, during the day in some decent lighting conditions, unless its rugby in the middle of a winters day. Surely the s2 can achieve some hi shutter speeds during a nice day. So i dont see any issue with it. i would prob lean towards a shutter priority mode maybe selecting around mid 100s depending on day and what the cam selects in the way of fstop. Ofcourse you want a decent dof as sports ppl dont stand stil for long and you cant reply to much on the speed and accuracy of ur af. i would prob bump up iso to around 200 to further assist an increase in shutter.

And ofcourse if you want to go to the next step the dslr for sure. thts a totally different league of cam. for example a 350d can run around iso 800 quite happily (ofcourse depending on how u feel about a little noise clean up later) but im sure at an iso 800 with even a ap priority of around f5-7 (Just to increase dof abit) im sure you will stil achieve a very hi shutter speed just due to the awesome sensitivity of this ccd. This will stop the action and present nice clear and sharp results.

Only time i can see this being a real advantages would be indoor sports like basketball and hockey. Tht terrible lighting is hell on cams.

i do agree in some ways tht the s2 can be limited to creating acceptable resuls if its put in an environment wher it is unfit to operate (indorr basket ball maybe) i also agree tht the photo is largely dependant on the person standing behind the cam. If you have maxed out iso, with widest f stop and well out of flash zone and the cams metering at 1/2sec exposure time it dont matter if you got a magic wand in the other hand the sport/fast action pics aint gona comeout sharp.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote