Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:13 AM   #1

Been seeing a lot of "how do you get sports action shots"? regarding this camera. First of all, I bought the S2 purely as a 'casual' camera.

I shoot action horse events for money during the season and use the 20D with Canon L type lenses.
If the S2 is your primary or only camera you are going to be required to make some major concessions to your shooting methods.

First of all, stop using the LCD screen as your method of framing. Holding your camera out in front of you, away from your body, is a great way to defeat the IS function of your unit. Use the viewfinder, it is a good one.

With the camera close to your face and arms tucked in, you create a more stable cohesive unit. Learn to breathe - take a breath - let it half way out - then shoot. It takes practice, lots of it. Brace the rest of your body whenever possible. Steadier stance = less camera motion (a source of blurred shots).

It's all about LIGHT. The faster you gather it in, the faster your shutter can capture the scene. How do you do this? Your first control is the ISO range. Higher ISO allows for faster shutter speeds at any given aperture. Aperture? - the widest opening you can afford (maintaining adequate DOF).

The first thing most people do when they get underexposed action shots, is to resort to the on-board flash unit. The range of this unit is about 16' max. If you are shooting a volleyball game and you are more than that distance - it ain't gonna do much in the way of lighting up the scene. This is true of all P&S cameras, not just this one. Canon sells an add-on unit as an accessory but I haven't heard anything about its effect on shots.

Burst mode with the flash isn't very efficient due to recharge time for the flash.
Auto focus for this unit is quite good, considering what the camera is designed for. Using good tracking/framing techniques you can acheive quite nice sequences.

The S2 is an excellent "all purpose" camera, and that is what Canon designed it for. As a pure 'sports' camera, look to another model.
S2 samples at www.pbase.com/jpferguson
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:01 PM   #2

What would you suggest as a good setting for sport or wildlife. I have just bought my S2 and I am guessing ageneral setting would be to go to TV mode, set the speed to 1/500 and put the ISO to AUTO.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:34 PM   #3

Great post Setiprime, though I wish you had made it a couple of weeks ago.¬* I went through an aggravating learning process as I tried to find the best way to shoot sports with what is otherwise a fantastic digicam.¬* Firstly, you are correct when you suggest that the user hold the camera to one's face and avoid using the LCD.¬* This is a mistake I'v made eventhough I know better...¬* avoid using the LCD, it's small anyways.For me, I found the ideal indoor shooting mode was to use Tv, set the ISO to 200 and let the camera select the appropriate shutterspeed, although 1/500 would have been ideal.Here¬* is a shot I managed under those exact conditions.
Sporty G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 9:55 AM   #4

Norm - read sporty's reply, he has found a basic answer. I shoot in Av mode and go the other way to get fastest shutter. Either mode will get you into the right approach. I can't stress the Viewfinder vs. LCD enough. A steady camera is essential !!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:54 PM   #5

The only time I've ever really needed fast sport action shots were at an NHL game where there was more than enough light, and bowling with a few friends...

Bowling alleys kinda suck for taking pictures at a high rate, but if you play with this camera a bit, it's not so bad...

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:14 PM   #6

Homer - Thats it exactly. You have to mess about with it to find how the camera performs under different conditions. That way - when you really need to get the shot, you understand how functions relate to each other.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:27 PM   #7

Ok, what is the deal here ? You keep praising this camera yet have the option to go SLR ( ANY OTHER camera ). Do you have ties with Canon ?

I don't care how PROFESSIONAL some one is. This camera IS producing out of focus images. Why would some one want to blow almost $800.00 for this dud and not spend another $100.0 and get theres MONEYS WORTH !
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:23 AM   #8

There are hundreds of thousands of examples of S2 photos online.. With any camera.. it's about the person holding it. I have yet to see photographic evidence with EXIF to prove no other error.

If it's producing soft photos I would suggest possibly a lemon?.. Exchange it for another.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:53 PM   #9

Yup - just like she said !!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:59 AM   #10

You are a one-track troll.

Einstein: PLEASE stop confusing SOFT images with OUT-OF-FOCUS images. They are not the same. If you want LESS IN CAMERA NOISE REDUCTION SELL THE ^$( THING and get a Panny. Otherwise, PLEASE shut-up and either use the thing or put it in a box.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote