Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:28 PM   #1

The S2IS has the 4 way rocker switch exactly where I want to put my thumb when I hold the camera. I worry that if I buy it, I'll always be hitting those switches by accident.

Does anyone have that problem?

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

If I dont get the S2IS, I'll probably wind up with the Sony or the Lumix Z5, which dont have that problem (but probably have others.. :sad

Any comments, or suggestions about the placement of that rocker switch and how much of a problem it is will be appreciated. Maybe it isnt a problem for everyone else, because I dont see anyone else talking about it.

Jerry

jerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:23 PM   #2

I gave it a try... when I put my thumb on the rocker, I find it very uncomfortable on my wrist. My natural grip puts my thumb to the left of the rocker.
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:26 PM   #3

Left of the rocker for me too.. Right where the little 'bumpies' are Molehill!!!
This camera is AWESOME!!! Even the swivel lcd takes the cake alone. :|
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:40 PM   #4

I have the A95, and I adore the swivel lcd. I'm just worried about those rocker switches and my wayward thumb.

I guess I'll go back to the store and handle it a little more. It seems as tho it must be only my problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Jerry
Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:44 PM   #5

What's their return policy?.. Can you take it home and try it for a bit?

Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:21 PM   #6

I dont know the return policy- I havent got far enough to ask. But it's a good suggestion. Of course, if I purchase via internet, that's another problem.

Jerry
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7

I'd find a place locally to try it first.. Most places price match.. at least around here.. There's a major store out here that will even match small camera stores 'deals'.. I ended up getting my S2 for 150 under retail.. with warrenty too!

You could always try it out from a returnable place.. then take it back if you decide you want to order online.. I really can't see you having a hard time holding it though. I've never heard of that before.. But..... also it has to feel right in your hands..

I bought the Sony W5 orginally.. but it was weighted wrong or something.. I couldnt comfortable operate with one hand (a must with toddlers).. So I took it back for the A610.. Realizing I could use the zoom, and could handle the size.. went to the S2.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:29 PM   #8

I've had my S2 for about 6 months, and haven't had any major issues since having the original replaced under warranty, weeks after buying it.

I haven't had a problem with the rocker switch, but every now and again I inadvertantly hit the 'mode' button while I'm composing a shot. It's not a huge deal; I'm sure I'll eventuallylearn to avoid it.

Mark

www.WestCoastPaddler.com
WestCoastPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:47 PM   #9

If they could only make a camera that fit every hand type..LOL..

I've held other cameras.. I've got LONG fingers and basketball hands.. Most of the simlar makes in this style simply didn't fit my grip. I'm sure the same goes with people that have chunky fingers, etc... In the end, only you can 'fit' yourself.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:36 PM   #10

With the way the grip is in my hands, the weight of the camera and stability purposes almost force your hand to go to the left of the 4 way pad. Just cause of the weight yea, it is almost natural to have it extended outward, almost being able to comfortably press the "REC" button. But thats my grip on things.

John
Buhammot is offline   Reply With Quote