Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:48 PM   #1

Recently took my new S2 out for the first time (see photos in other thread) and have now just noticed a few things when looking at the photos, mainly of snow:

-yellow spots

-what seems like white spots of pixilization

-and a blueish edge around some subjects in the photo

The camera was mainly on SNOW MODE.

Any ideas as I am rather new at this?

EXAMPLE (mainly lower portion of photo):
Attached Images

MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:56 AM   #2

30 views and not one suggestion? Is this called noise? Over exposure?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:49 AM   #3

Pretty hard to tell from a small low res shot on monitor. Your 'blueish' edges are called Chromatic Aberration it is a common problem on P&S cameras and needs to be corrected in Post processing. Remember any of the specialty modes are a 'best guess' algorithm for that situation.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:01 PM   #4

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Pretty hard to tell from a small low res shot on monitor. Your 'blueish' edges are called Chromatic Aberration it is a common problem on P&S cameras and needs to be corrected in Post processing. Remember any of the specialty modes are a 'best guess' algorithm for that situation.
I am starting to wonder if it might be my monitor as I was looking at the shots on a better monitor today and didn't notice it, ice at all. However, I am taking to heart some of the suggestions in othre threads pertaining to not really letting the auto settings control you and to start learning to set settings myself.

Thanks for the heads up on the blue edges.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:47 AM   #5

I've been trying to choose between the S2 and the Sony H1 and in the process, I've been reading a lot of reviews and comparing a lot of pictures between these two cameras. One thing that I found to be pretty consistent is that the S2 tends to overexpose (always), while the H1 oversharpens (always). Your shot looks overexposed to me (the ground has hardly any texture) but I agree that monitors are indeed a problem (and a big one too). You tweak you picture based on what you monitor is showing, then you print it and the result could be drasticaly different. My suggestion? Select some pictures right out of the camera, that you think have spots or any other artifacts and before you edit them in any way, print them. If you still see problems then you know your monitor is OK. It's a good way to understand the colors your monitor reproduces and how they relate to your photos.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:10 PM   #6

Thanks. The pictures were indeed overexposed some, so sayth the histogram. The monitor, though, in this case seems to the be issue. It is rather old (back from '98) and high rez photos do not bode well. It is time for a monitor upgrade as well.

Still haven't had the opportunity to really take this out and test it. The weather has been just terrible here.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:10 PM   #7

Thanks. The pictures were indeed overexposed some, so sayth the histogram. The monitor, though, in this case seems to the be issue. It is rather old (back from '98) and high rez photos do not bode well. It is time for a monitor upgrade as well.

Still haven't had the opportunity to really take this out and test it. The weather has been just terrible here.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:57 PM   #8

The S2 IS has been known to have the blueish edge for big contrast pictures. As I believe for the yellow spots and white spots, some of them are overexposure.
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote