Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:17 PM   #1

Hi, I recently bought a Canon A610 and soon discovered that it would not give sharp images of anything beyond around 15meters, I tried every applicable setting on the dial and even manual focus but no change, I took it back to the dealer who had no problem replacing it but the second camera was the same so back again for a second replacement the dealer even took a couple of test shots but the results were the same, I have since returned the (third) camera to Canon service and am awaiting their response, has anyone else found this problem?
sunnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:34 PM   #2

Not at all.. Maybe you need to use a tripod or steady your arm better.. I had this camera.. and even with 2 toddlers.. 9 out of 10 pics were in perfect focus...

Are you holding the button down halfway first to focus it before you take the photo?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:41 PM   #3

My A610 does a very good job at focusing..Even at night. and Indoor shots...
JoeSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

Hi,

I have not noticed any problems with focusing at all.

In fact, right now after seeing your post I tried it again, making sure the object of focus was far away - still completely in focus...and in fact I took the picture *through* my window and it was still in focus.

Sorry I can't help, but I wonder if it might be user error somehow.

Good luck,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:28 PM   #5

Thanks for your response, I can assure you I have tried everything including using a tripod, I have taken roughly 50 photo's with 3 different a610 cameras usually at settings f8 at 125 or 250th of a second I checked every photo in photoshop and not one was sharp beyond about 5 meters, my previous camera was an Olympus C750 and I never had this problem in the 2 or 3 years I owned it, I regret selling it now. It's hard to believe that out of 50 or so photo's not one would be sharp even allowing for user error, the foreground is always sharp only the background is out of focus.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:45 PM   #6

Yes I have tried prefocussing but the results are the same, I noticed when I downloaded the wideangle shots from steve's review of the a610, anything in the distance is not sharp (out of focus) compared to the Panasonic fz20 photo's which are sharp all over, this is one reason I am asking if anyone else has the same problem. I am wondering if this is a production fault in one batch because they were reduced by $150 which is almost a 33% reduction, I have seen this happen before, it's cheaper to sell the cameras at a reduced price than to rectify the problem, I know from personal experience it happened with the Rollieflex SL35 many years ago.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:59 PM   #7

Hi, thanks for your response, I was just wondering at what magnification you are wiewing your results. I often make A3 and A4 prints so when I download photos into photoshop I usually view at pixel level, this clearly shows sharp foreground and unsharp distance, compared to shots taken with my Olympus C750 which were sharp all over. I am still waiting to hear back from Canon service, I fully expect them to say the camera is okay in which case I will sell it as soon as possible and buy something else, possibly an Olympus. If you're interested have a look at www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html for an excellent on line depth of field calculator.

Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:48 PM   #8

Hi,

I am viewing my images at 100% with monitor set to 1024 x 768 resolution.

Looking through my photos I have virtually no pictures taken from a distance. I do have one, which I took while walking with my arm extended to the side, the object of focus was someone 3 feet from me and the houses in the background (about 50-70 feet away) look to be in focus at 100% on my monitor.

I guess another thing to consider is what you aperature setting is..I think. If the aperature is not high enough, won't that blurr some of the distant objects? Right click and get the properties of the picture and see what the settings were...perhaps that might help.

When I get a chance I'll take my camera outside and take some photos of far away objects and look at them on the computer.

Just a guess,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:33 AM   #9

Hi, thanks for your comment, I guess 99 out of 100 people never take much notice of distant focus, especially if printing 6x4". but it was very noticable for me because most of my photo's are outdoors at wideangle setting, I have of course checked the shooting aperture and most were f8 or 6.3 but the more common problem with digital is too much depth of field, so if you want to use selective focus to make the subject stand out you have to manipulate the image in Photoshop or some other editing program, thanks for taking the time to comment, I would be interested to here how your test shots come out !!!
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:10 PM   #10

When you take a photo, what objects are you choosing to focus on? For example if you focus on an object only 5 meters away, then a scenic background may not be in focus.

Why not just post an image with its EXIF info so we can see what you are talking about.

As I understand it, some cameras are in focus right through their range, and changing aperture only interposes a neutral density filter - hence no real depth of field control. The A610 has a real aperture - could this be the problem?

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote