Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:41 PM   #1

hi again...as you know :-)...I'm planning to buy the s2is..that I think is a great camera...maybe the best ones non dSLR!

I just read about the new Fz7 (the fz20 in too older on less some functions..the fz30 really to noisy)..but it doesn't seem to be better than the canon...

The only better feature I think is 60s max exposure...nothing else! Also the screen...bigger but with the same (something less in reality...) resolution of canon...so worste details!

What do you think?should I wait or buy in confidence the S2is??
Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:40 PM   #2

If you want " THE FOG EFFECT " get the S2 other wise get some thing else.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:25 PM   #3

I had the chance to return my S2 and get the FZ20 the sales man kept telling me that Panasonic was a better camera but I did not want to listen. I thougth it was just a sales pitch.

If the prices are roughly the same go with the Panasonic.

Long Live " THE FOG EFFECT "
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4

In terms of OVERALL camera quality, I'd say that Canon cameras usually yield the best images. Still, not every single one of their models is perfect.

The S1 and S2 cameras stand out from all others regarding their movie modes. Smoothest looking 640x480 clips of pretty much any other camera out there. But my S1 has a pretty severe focusing problem, and from what I've read over the months and emails I've received on my own site, the S2 didn't improve on that problem by a whole lot. Some, but not much. Out of the batch of superzoom 5MP models that are out there right now, I would only give Canon the lead regarding that movie mode, and the fact it runs on AA batteries instead of a proprietary one (not all do this).

I use a FZ5 and while the overall image quality regarding sharpness isn't quite up to the Canon, it's still very good. Small 320x240 movie mode and proprietary battery. It does however have an excellent "rapid focus" feature (much faster than the Canon), and comes with an adapter in the box so you can use filters. At an average of $50 to $75 cheaper than the Canon, this is a better deal at this time.

The FZ7 looks very promising, but it's not out yet so hasn't been tested by any of the reviewers, and I do believe the adapter for filters will be an extra cost option and not included on that one.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5

Go with the S2. There is no such thing as fog effect other than a filter which is used to soften portraits etc. I heard the same thing about the panasonics but it was called the "smudge effect". Most of these claims usually originate from users who do not use the camera properly or are the recipients of used and repackaged merchandise.
zip37602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:03 PM   #6

I own the S2 and have been nothing but happy with it. I LOVE this camera.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:58 PM   #7

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
In terms of OVERALL camera quality, I'd say that Canon cameras usually yield the best images. Still, not every single one of their models is perfect.

The S1 and S2 cameras stand out from all others regarding their movie modes. Smoothest looking 640x480 clips of pretty much any other camera out there. But my S1 has a pretty severe focusing problem, and from what I've read over the months and emails I've received on my own site, the S2 didn't improve on that problem by a whole lot. Some, but not much. Out of the batch of superzoom 5MP models that are out there right now, I would only give Canon the lead regarding that movie mode, and the fact it runs on AA batteries instead of a proprietary one (not all do this).

I use a FZ5 and while the overall image quality regarding sharpness isn't quite up to the Canon, it's still very good. Small 320x240 movie mode and proprietary battery. It does however have an excellent "rapid focus" feature (much faster than the Canon), and comes with an adapter in the box so you can use filters. At an average of $50 to $75 cheaper than the Canon, this is a better deal at this time.

The FZ7 looks very promising, but it's not out yet so hasn't been tested by any of the reviewers, and I do believe the adapter for filters will be an extra cost option and not included on that one.

Greg

Agree with most of this except the sharpness comment. Conventional wisdom is the Panny is sharper. Canon gets panned for soft images. Very nice mind you but a bit soft.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:27 PM   #8

i went through the same dlimea you are going through now. i was lookig atht eh s2 or fz5. as u can tell i ended up goin for a pana cam over the canon. i just felt the pana was much nicer to use, better to hold and im very happy with the image quality i am getting from my pana. then again i did purchase the fz30. BUt stil i played with the s2 (i work with electronics so i had the luxury of messing arnd with our store stock) and it seemd nice. BUt after taking a few shots arnd the car park during the day and at night i did feel the canon had softer images.

so far i have not encountered any issues in reference to noise on the fz series. I am happy with the pana but a bg catch is the batts are very hard to find and expesive.

heres a pic i took wen i was messing arnd at eastern beach with the pana
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:05 AM   #9

No post processing from my S2.

Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:07 AM   #10

Attached Images