Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1

Hello Everybody,

I have decided to buy a Canon PowerShot S2 IS. I own a Kodak DX3900 and it's time
to replace it. I was looking for more zoom (only 2x on the DX) and a good moviemode. Also I want a lot of manual settings.
The Canon looks very good (12 x zoom 640x480 Video with stereo) and
the reviews are very good. However I have 3 questions:

1) Is 5Mp enough for A4 prints? Larger I will never make.

2)Do I need a highspeed SD card, or is a normal Kingston or Sandisk enough?

3)Are there things bad about the camera, I think it is an awesome camera.

Thanks in advance,

Maurice

P.S. Look at this pic of my parents dog. Made with my DX3900 after 2.5 years and 3000 photos. It still works like new ! (Picture resized to get the 250 Kb)

Attached Images

ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:07 PM   #2

HI! I'm a future (very soon) buyer of the s2is...camera that I "studied" for the last 2 months...

First of all..Your dog is so beautiful!!! great...

1)I think 5 Mp it's enought...but not more of A4..that is the UP limit.

2) Optimal performance requires a 60X Sd card...so normals Sandisk or kingston are not fast enought. Anyway they'll works well..but not a the top of camera writing performance..If you have sandisk ultra II there are not problems..

3) Doesn't seems to be..but check reviews on the web (steve digicams, dpreview, dcresource, megapixel) and look at weak points. Don't worry..every camera has some feature not perfect..just wach them. I think the S2is is the best camera in is range..
Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:10 PM   #3

Ahamay - It is a Dandy little Camera and capable of some very good images. For the money (which isn't much) it does some pretty neat things. HOWEVER - it is not a DSLR and shouldn't be expected to perform as such.

I have enjoyed mine for about 6 weeks now and run off about 1000 shots. I bought minefor "casual" shooting.
I started a few threads here labled "S2 1st. impressions", "S2 2nd. impressions" and a couple more I can't remember.

I have dropped it onto a table a couple times and banged it on a door or two - no problems.

I have a bunch of untouched shots on my gallery, including some very tight macros - go have a look.

www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Good Shooting
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:20 PM   #4

You are doing what seems I did upgraded from a Kodak. If you can exchange that camera NOW ! Unless you got a VERY good price for it send it back for a refund. You will notice BLURRY images as times goes on. You will find your self deleting multiple pictures before you have an acceptable one.

" THE FOG EFFECT "

My advice get some thing with a MANUEL zoom ring. Doesn't matter brand I'm now completly discontent with the Canon name in general.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:54 AM   #5

I dont think the camera is as bad as you think of. Getting blurry pics can be out of many reasons. e.g a movingobject or¬* a live object is much difficult to shoot. Secondly i have known many people new to high end cameras do not follow the "half press shutter release button" rule to focus. Once you see the green autofocus box then only take the picture. Under such circumstance if the object hasnt moved then you would have success in getting a sharp picture 99% of time. Of course next thing is lighting issues.¬* In low light you would seethat halfpressing the shutter release is not able to get the green autofocus box. And under those circumstances the flash is always suitable unless the object is too far. I have few pictures taken by this camera here:¬*http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2464437The pic of the moon was taken hand held with very little PP except a bit of sharpening and resizing. And the pic is probably ok for taking a 8x10 printout. Rest all of the pics are straight out of the camera except for resizing. I have two pictures for the same macro bee shot one is the full size image and the other is resized and cropped.So in my opinion S2 is not at all a bad camera and i am sure whatever issues you have with this camera you would have similar issues with any other Pand S camera. Unless you want to go digital SLR
rajat_roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6

I ordered my S2 IS today and hopefully it will arive tomorrow. I just can't wait:

12 X optical v.s. 2 X (DX3900)
640x480 moviev.s.None (Really cool, not):evil:

And it works perfect with my Canon MP 760 Printer, wich is also an awesome machine.
Maybe interesting for some of you: single inkt carts, cd printing, duplex, scanner, negative scanner, dia scanner and cardreader.Most things can be performed with
the PC offline !:-)See steves review...

Thanks for the info, I will post a picture as soon as I have the camera.

With Canon you can....,

Maurice
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:27 AM   #7

Super... My camera arrived today and I'm really impressed. Just look at this picture, taken with 12 X Optical zoom. And it also works perfect with my Canon MP760 printer. (Blue share light goes on, and print away !)

Regards,

Maurice
(Image resized to 800x600)
Attached Images