Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:51 AM   #1

I recently bought a new Powershot A610. While it takes good pictures, I haven't been able to download any of them onto my cpu. The error message I get is "USB device not recognized" in the tool tray at the bottom of the screen. I downloaded the software that comes with the camera, even removed and re-installed it again thinking something may have happened in the download. Now I'm not very computer "savy" so it's possible I'm missing something that everyone else here knows, but it seems that just plugging in the usb cable works for just about everyone else. Thinking it may have been the port, I tried it all six of my usb ports with no luck. The ports work as I tried a jumpdrive that had no problem with any of the ports. The manual was absolutely no help. I went to the "scanners and cameras" option from my cpu's control panel and there is nothing in it at all. I use Windows XP "service pack 2" if that helps. I found that the TWAIN and WIA drivers should not be needed on my operating system. Once it didn't work, I tried downloading each of those with no success. If someone has any ideas please let me know. Keep in mind I'm just short of retarded when it comes to computers so if it is an in depth process to fix, please spell it out for me. Thanks!
tman97266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:35 PM   #2

Because I use more than one camera with my computer.. I feel better not plugging directly.. Sooo.. that being said...

Do you have a card reader?.. I think it's a good investment.. You can grab a cheap one for around 30.00 or less. That way all you have to do is transfer via the card.

I haven't heard of anyone with this issue (though I'm sure there could be).. This is an alternative.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:26 AM   #3

Sounds like an OS and/or camera issue. Try the camera on a different computer to isolate the problem. Same issue on a different/multiple (the more test computers the better) computers it is a problem with the camera. If it works fine on a different computer it is an OS (Operating System i.e. Windows) problem. If this is the case given that you possess little skill in troubleshooting I would contact whoever provides support for your PC.
metapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:11 PM   #4

I wanted to let you both know that it turns out that it was a bad port on my camera. I took it into BestBuy (where I bought it) and we tried it on several different computers only to get the same "usb not recognized" error. We tried replacing the usb cord that came with it, checking the memory card and ultimately trying a different camera which turned out to be the problem. Tomorrow after work I'm going to stop by and get a replacement. This time I'll make sure it works before I leave the store!

Thank you both for taking the time to help out.
tman97266 is offline   Reply With Quote