Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:34 PM   #1

I want a wide angle, and that little setup that others have to get the snap on lense cap. What's it called, and where do I find it? There's no point in 'cheaping out' if I won't be happy.. but I also don't want to get ripped off. I'm comfortable buying from Ebay, and likelythe easiest as I'm in Canada.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:14 PM   #2

What you're looking for is a lens adapter - it allows you to attach Canon (or other brands) of converters, including telephoto and macro/wide angle converters, or just use regular filters and lens caps.

Canon makes an adapter, which I believe are a high-impact plastic. A company by the name of LensMate also makes them, from aluminum. I have one of the LensMate adapters (available at http://www.lensmateonline.com) and am very happy with it - the fit on the camera is perfect (I know that the Canon adapters for the S1 have a bit of extra play when mounted on the S1, and I imagine the Canon S2 adapters have the same problem), and the colour matches the camera body perfectly.

Hope that helps!

Mark

http://www.WestCoastPaddler.com

WestCoastPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:00 AM   #3

Just out of interest did you go for the 52mm or 58mm size?

Thanks
Richard
richcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:29 PM   #4

richcbaker wrote:
Quote:

Thanks
Richard
Personally, I went for the 58mm adapter, as that's what Canon uses. This way I have the best compatibility with Canon tele-converters and wide-angle converters. The 58mm filters are a little more expensive than 52mm, but the difference is small so I opted for complete compatibility. If you don't think you'll ever want a converter, the 52mm would be fine.

Mark

www.WestCoastPaddler.com
WestCoastPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5

I'm sssssssssooooooooooooooo confused.. LMAO.... Almost easier to explain what I need, put my hand out with my credit card and let someone buy it for me.. LOL

:?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:48 PM   #6

Ok.. that being said. I want the widest possible angle on one lense. I want the adapter thing that I can use in order to get the 'snap on' cap everyone talks about.

Right now that's all I forsee myself wanting. I'm still learning with the camera.. But do know that stepping backwards into oblivion to get a wide shot is annoying (with any camera I've owned). The zoom I use more, that's why I bought the S2.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:48 PM   #7

WestCoastPaddler wrote:
Quote:
richcbaker wrote:
Quote:

Thanks
Richard
Personally, I went for the 58mm adapter, as that's what Canon uses. This way I have the best compatibility with Canon tele-converters and wide-angle converters. The 58mm filters are a little more expensive than 52mm, but the difference is small so I opted for complete compatibility. If you don't think you'll ever want a converter, the 52mm would be fine.

Mark

http://www.WestCoastPaddler.com
Actually, even if he does decide he wants a converter with the 52mm, he'll be fine. A lot of the non-Canon converters come in 52mm sizes. And even if he decides to go with Canon lenses after getting a 52mm adapter, I believe he can use a 52-58 adjustment ring so the 58's will fit on the 52.

I higly recommend anyone interested in adapters and converters should visit Lensmate.
bigsyd is offline   Reply With Quote