Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Hi, I just bought an A610. Overall I think the color is great, as is the exposure and the focusing. But it seems to have very little depth of field. One photo is with the flash in auto mode. It shot at 1/60 3.5f, although most every other picture I've taken took at 2.8f. The secind photo was outside on a bright sunny day, although on the shady side of the house. The camera was in auto and the picture took at 1/60 2.8f. As you can see, my dogs eyes are in great focus, but her nose is not. I was not using any zoom or any other functions. My DSLR's shoot at 1/60 5.6f in low lights with flash, which makes more sense to me. Is there anything wrong with this particular camera, or do you think that is standard for the A610?
Attached Images

skphotoimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:41 AM   #2

picture #2
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:58 PM   #3

According to http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

An A610 at 0.5 meters on full wide (7.3mm), f/2.8, the DOF will be 0.16m (about 6 inches):

0.16 m Total depth of field
0.07 m (42%) Depth of field in front of subject
0.09 m (58%) Depth of field behind subject

So if the distance from your dogs eye's to her nose is move than 3 inches, you will be in trouble. If you move to f/5.6 you should do much better - except that you'll need more light.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:13 PM   #4

Well now, thats interesting! Then why on earth would canon make the auto mode such that with a flash it shoots at 2.8f, unless you are using the zoom, at which point it only goes up to 4f? Grrr. I guess I'm spoiled by my DSLR's and my great lenses.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:27 PM   #5

skphotoimages wrote:
Quote:
Well now, thats interesting! Then why on earth would canon make the auto mode such that with a flash it shoots at 2.8f, unless you are using the zoom, at which point it only goes up to 4f? Grrr. I guess I'm spoiled by my DSLR's and my great lenses.
I guess they are trying to maximise the range of the flash and/or minimise the battery-use by openning up the lens as mush as possible. If you punch some figures into the calculator you will see that is fine in normal situations where the subject is maybe 3 meters away.

Maybe it will minimise red-eye as well.

(I should add I'm not an A610 owner - so I can't actually verify the figures I quoted previously.)
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote