Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 18, 2003, 2:06 PM   #1

Default S45 or S400

Which camera is better: S400 or S45. I cannot see any difference between these two (except the size). Can somebody help me?
ccb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:13 PM   #2

I had a S45 for a week, and I returned it to get a S400. The two cameras share a number of features for sure, but they are not aimed at the same market.

The S45 offers all the manual settings you need, it's like a mini-G3. It's relatively small, but not close in size to all the mini cameras, including the S400. It supports both CF Type 1 and 2, but I think this feature isn't really useful right now because prices of CF Type 1 cards are at an all time low and have better battery life. The S400 offers limited manual controls, it's a true point & shoot.

I returned the S45 because I didn't like the construction, the buttons felt kinda cheaply made, especially the zoom switch and the multi-function directional pad. I travel a lot with my camera, and I don't want it to break after a couple of weeks.

So, I sacrificed the manual settings and enthusiastic features of the S45 for a more pocketable camera. The S400 was the obvious choice.

Don't get me wrong, the S45 is an amazing camera. Great picture quality, manual focus, big LCD, wide range of manual controls... If you want control, it's the way to go. If you want great picture quality and pocket size, check out the S400 or S230.

Hope this helps!

Peace.
bruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:38 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. In some tests they mention a problem of the S45 with the red-eye reduction. Did you have this problem with S45? Do you have this problem with the S400?
ccb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2003, 5:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb98
Thanks for your reply. In some tests they mention a problem of the S45 with the red-eye reduction. Did you have this problem with S45? Do you have this problem with the S400?
Check this review

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

maybe it will help
martyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:10 PM   #5

Default comparing s45 and s400

something that I am curious about is whether or not either camera has a faster shot to shot time.

Meaning...

My wife takes a single picture of our son at the highest setting.
He didn't smile but he smiles 1 second later.

My current Dsc-s85 crawls and 5 seconds later it takes a picture
of my smiling son's nose (he walked over to the cam).

How long do I have to wait to snap another pic with the
s45 and the s400? I keep getting conflicted answers from reviews.

If they're both the same time then I want to go with a s400 as an upgrade because I can't stand that huge sony.
cdruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:39 PM   #6

I have a G3 and an s230 for my wife to carry in her purse. Like the G3 and s230, the s400 and s45 have a continuous shooting mode. There are standard and high speed modes. The standard mode will take shots until the memory buffer is full and will show you the photos on the LCD as you take them. High speed mode won't show you the photos as they're taken, but you'll get a faster burst rate. I tend to use the high speed for such moments for that reason. Using the flash still slows things down because you have to wait for the flash to recycle, but since you can view your images in cmera, you can delete the extra shots and keep the one you really want. Also, compression and image size will determine busrt rate. I suggest playing around with such settings, including turning off the flash (if not really necessary) and set the white balance.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:48 PM   #7

so the s400 *does* have a buffer? Great! OK then I'm buying it right now. Dell has this great price I can't pass up.
cdruiz is offline   Reply With Quote