Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:47 PM   #1

I just wanted to intorduce myself to the forum and share some of my images captured with the Canon PowerShot S2 IS.

I've had the camera for about 3 months now and I must say that I LOVE IT! I think I have finally gotten a grasp on how to use the camera to take some really exciting photographs. Actually, I think I get better every single outting I use it.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to drop a message on here. I am thankful to others that helped me get the best out of this camera. Therefore, I have no problem helping others. I usually post and interact on www.dpreview.comNow that I have discovered this site as well, I will be more than happy to try to assist here as well.

I do not personlly believe in the Soft Focus effect that one of the poster on here speaks of. I believe once a person learns to use the camera correctly, you will then begin to take some really nice photographs. My main tip for using this camera is to get away from AUTO mode and P mode if you can. At least use Tv or Av mode. I'm actually using M mode a lot more these days. I like the amount of control that this camera gives.

Anyway, enough about me and how I got here. Here is my gallery which contains all images shot with the Canon S2 IS:

http://bigsyd.smugmug.com

Make sure you take a look at the EXIF data to see what I did when taking certain shots.

-Big Syd
Canon S2 User
bigsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:02 PM   #2

What setting did you have the camera on for those basketball shots? I have been trying to get some decent gymnastics shots and I cannot seem to get enough light if I try adjusting the shutter speeds and the indoor or P mode don't stop the motion enough.

Thanks!
dzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:54 PM   #3

Hi bigsyd. You have some very nice clear shots on yourgallery pages. Like you I also do not believe in thesoft focusor fog effect of this camera. I have been using it for around six months now withgood results.

It takes a little time to learn how to use it andget away from the auto and P modes but this camera, as your gallery shows is capable of taking excellent photographs in almost any conditions. My own gallery of photos taken with the S2IS can be seen here www.meltonrossnewbarnetby.co.uk

All the best , from a fellow S2IS user.

airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:22 PM   #4

dzyg wrote:
Quote:
What setting did you have the camera on for those basketball shots? I have been trying to get some decent gymnastics shots and I cannot seem to get enough light if I try adjusting the shutter speeds and the indoor or P mode don't stop the motion enough.

Thanks!
You're probably talking about the pro basketball game. Actually, the arena had more light on the court than what I expected it would. Most of those were taken at f3.2 with the shutter speed somewhere between 1/125 - 1/320 depending on what part of the court I shot. They were taken in M mode. I pretty much opened the shutter as much as possible and then worked the shutter speed til I had a decently exposed shot in the viewfinder.

Now, the challenge has been taking pics at my son's basketball games. WIth those, I am working with very little light. At 3.2, I'm probably limited to 1/125 to 1/150 on those at most. I sometimes use flash by dropping the exposure comp down to about -2/3 or -1 and I put the flash on Second Curtain. Thay helps sometimes to give me a faster shutter and the second curtain flash will help freeze the action as well. However, the closer the better with this technique.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:23 PM   #5

airedaleman wrote:
Quote:
Hi bigsyd.┬* You have some very nice clear shots on your┬*gallery pages.┬* Like you I also do not believe in the┬*soft focus┬*or fog effect of this camera.┬* I have been using it for around six months now with┬*good results.

It takes a little time to learn how to use it and┬*get away from the auto and P modes but this camera, as your gallery shows is capable of taking excellent photographs in almost any conditions.┬* My own gallery of photos taken with the S2IS can be seen here www.meltonrossnewbarnetby.co.uk

All the best , from a fellow S2IS┬* user.

┬*
I just finished lookging at your photographs. Very Nice. I felt like I was in your town by the time I finished viewing.

All the best to you as well.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:43 PM   #6

Hi and thanks for the interesting post.

I'm new to my S2 and also a newbie at trying to avoid 'Auto' mode. Any suggestions, reading materials to learn the basics, courses, etc.

I'm primarily wanting good action photos of my daughter but don't know how to use anything other than Auto right nowand soI don't quite understand the things your saying like "At 3.2, I'm probably limited to 1/125 to 1/150 on those at most. I sometimes use flash by dropping the exposure comp down to about -2/3 or -1 and I put the flash on Second Curtain."

Can you help me get jump started down the right path?

CAt 3.2, I'm probably limited to 1/125 to 1/150 on those at most. I sometimes use flash by dropping the exposure comp down to about -2/3 or -1 and I put the flash on Second Curtain.
kmhuette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:36 PM   #7

I started by using P mode, setting ISO to 50,100 or 200, and adjusting the

light to the conditions. Hope to soon have time to figure out more.

James
jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:04 PM   #8

bigsyd.. Could you explain: "Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode" in your exif file on the Washington Auto Show .. regarding the pictures of the bikes?

Thanks!
Digifo is offline   Reply With Quote