Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

I presently have the option to return my Canon S2 IS and replace it with any other model I like. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Is the FZ30 any better then the Canon S2 or am I just looking at another head ache?

What I want are

1. VIDEO !
2. Manuel Zoom

SD memory and regualar AA's batteries would be a bonus ( that was one reason for buying the Canon ).

Can any one recomend another camera possibly Sony ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:17 PM   #2

Not quite sure what issues you have with your S2.. Why do you not like it? I did a quick peek into your post history and the summery of your posts make little sense.

By the posts, I also see that you are from Canada and were discussing the price of the S2 at one point. I paid 479 for my Cdn.. Not sure what your price was/ or is.. but there's not much within a 200.00 range that is comparable in my eyes.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3

Ok, I don't know where in Canada you are I'm in Ontario that means 15% sales tax.

I paid $699.99 plus 15% sales tax.

I do not belive I got my moneys worth for what came out to be an almost $800.00 camera.

This camera reallly should ONLY be in the 3 - 4 hundred dollar price range TOPS.

I paid for a HIGH END camera and came no where close.

My biggest beef is " THE FOG EFFECT " that is consistent with this camera and that's best case scenario.

I hope I made my self clear.

I truelly belive I can get a BETTER camera (MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK )possibly cheaper. I may take another look at the Panasonic FZ20 its in the S2 price range but supposedly a superior camera.

I don't want to hear anyflak from the DSLR guys and the DSLR is the bestthing sincesliced bread. That is simply NOT true the companies are ony taking advantage by drawing a line/price gap in there favour.

If I wanted JUST a camera I would buy 35mm not Digital ! You either want a film camera or you want an electronic one.

I'm SICK of the camparisons between Digitaland Film there is NO camparison so STOP !

Either you want VIDEO/Digital or you want Film !

CHOOSE !

Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:18 AM   #4

It's 14% here in BC.. So comparable there. You need to shop around a lot more.. ANy of the stores that have had it for 499. are Canada wide chains.

Do you know what an DSLR camera is?? The way you're talking, you think it's a film camera.. I could be misunderstanding you.

No one here is comparing a 35mm camera to a digital.

As for the fog effect.. I've heard no one else complain and have read hundreds upon hundreds of comments on the S2. You need to 'work' the camera.. just as any other camera.

Can you post some examples of your 'fog effect'?.. I'm curious now.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
It's 14% here in BC.. So comparable there. You need to shop around a lot more.. ANy of the stores that have had it for 499. are Canada wide chains.

Do you know what an DSLR camera is?? The way you're talking, you think it's a film camera.. I could be misunderstanding you.

No one here is comparing a 35mm camera to a digital.

As for the fog effect.. I've heard no one else complain and have read hundreds upon hundreds of comments on the S2. You need to 'work' the camera.. just as any other camera.

Can you post some examples of your 'fog effect'?.. I'm curious now.
Quote:
Buddy why are you trying to bust my balls ? The camera was $699.99 when it came out. No shopping around that was the price.
Quote:
Yes a DSLR is a VIDEO camera that takes stills not more no less ! You have companies like Canon, Pentax, Minolta who are trying to jump into the video field fearing film will come to an end soon.
Quote:
This is still only the baby stages of the digital still cameras. Wait till the big guns jump on board ( THE REAL VIDEO GUYS) JVC, HITACHI , RCA, PHILLIPS, and Zenith just to name a few. Pansonic and Sony have just begun to make an impact. Its live or die now for the original film camera companies trying to sneak into the video field.
Quote:
Call it a DSLR call it PIGSCANFLY call it what you like but these are video/digital non analog cameras.
Quote:
The KEY here is VIDEO not FILM !
Quote:
Oh, I had forgotten in the middle of my rant you want tosee " THE FOG EFFECT " ? I don't know how many pictures you take before getting one that is decent with that camera. Once you do get a decent one the best case is " THE FOG EFFECT ". The pictures always have a haze to them/blurry/dull/fogy/= OUT OF FOUCS !
Quote:
If you don't notice it oh well enjoy ! But don't tell me it does not exist. This is video and there is no reason for the out of focus images. Not they are not soft this is NOT film this is VIDEO they are out of FOCUS !
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:57 AM   #6

Sorry about my rant but what is there IS THERE.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:17 PM   #7

I live in Ontario and got mine at Henry's. I got it for $539 (I talked them down from $599) and they tossed in a 1gig memory card for $74. Deals are out there. Seems like you got jacked.

I admit that I haven't taken it out enough thus far, due to terrible weather (as you can contest living here) but I have enjoyed the few shots I have taken while trying to learn how to use the cam.

Attached Images

MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:59 PM   #8

Why not just look at a good sampling of the FZ30 images at

http://www.pbase.com - just search by camera type.

You can do the same search for the S2 IS.

It would be useful if you could give examples of the fog-effect - or at least a more precise explanation, as no one here understands what you mean.

In terms of the S2 being a high-end camera, I'd say it is a high-zoom camera - which means image quality will be compromised in favour of zoom. If image quality came first, I don't think the lens could have this zoom range - the camera would have to have a more limited range, more like a PRO1 or G6 (no personal experience with them - so I could be wrong).

High amounts of zoom create other non-quality-related problems. For example, depth of field at high levels of zoom can be quite limited - if you stay wide-open at f/3.5, zoom to maximum zoom, and are 100m from the focus point, your depth of field would only be 78m - so anything in the distance will be blurred even though the subject is 100m away (from .http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html ). Under the same circumstances, If you stop down to f/8.0, the DOF is still only 308m.

I think any 12x zoom lens is going to be a compromise - but if you need the zoom range, you take the consequences. Personally, with my S2, I find as long as I manage the zoom, aperture, and noise/exposure level, I get sharp images.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/91654753/ for larger version and other sample S2 IS images.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:34 AM   #9

MrGarmonbozia wrote:
Quote:
I live in Ontario and got mine at Henry's. I got it for $539 (I talked them down from $599) and they tossed in a 1gig memory card for $74. Deals are out there. Seems like you got jacked.

Actually no " YOOU GOT JACKED " the camera is now $519.00 Can

Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:05 AM   #10

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
MrGarmonbozia wrote:
Quote:

Actually no " YOOU GOT JACKED " the camera is now $519.00 Can

You know, buddy, every time somebody tries to make a comment to you you just seem to fire back inane blabber instead of something constructive. You have been called upon many times to show some proof of your blurred images with a camera you so loath (a camera, mind you, that you have kept for many weeks now probably to perpetuate your trolling posts here). You have issues, back them up. Many posters here have placed images against your disdain for this camera and all you seem to be able to do is focus on elements of their posts that have little to do with what you are trying to prove.

And speaking of backing things up:

These stores, as of 10 minutes ago, list this camera as:

Henry's: $549 (
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...;storeId=10001)

BestBuy: $569.99 (
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...mp;catid=20226)

FutureShop: $549.99 (
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...mp;catid=11719)

Galaxy Camera: $549.99 (
http://www.galaxycamera.com/dicam_canon2.html#)

Walmart: $579.99

GINN: $549.99

The final two have no website backup. I called (You see, as Henry's price matches up to 21 days after camera purchase and I would be able to bring them even lower to stop this jacking at once!!!)

So, here we have somebody once again posting a sharp image and instead of you scratching your noggin' and opining: "Well that is a sharp shot like some of the others. Maybe I got a dud. Gawsh!" or even "You know, hommie, I still don't find that to be very sharp. I hate this camera. I am going to pitch into Lake Ontario and get me a new one. Golly!" you choose to point out a price issue when another person tells you how much less they paid for their camera.

I mean, in an honest sense here, let us utilize YOUR way of thinking: Now even if, IF, IF some store in, say, Moosejaw Saskatchewan does have the camera listed for, say, SAY, SAY $200 and NO FREAKIN' TAX...I mean, in this regard, still would you not have been jacked? EVEN MORE JACKED then yours truly?

Despite you not being able to back up another claim, I will take at face value your claim that you have seen the camera listed for $519. Okay, fine, perchance I was "jacked" by $20 (although considering I got a $130 memory card for $50 less one could argue the jacking factor here) ...in the end I am left with a camera I enjoy instead of a mass collection of trolling posts to cuddle with when the lights go out.

Sleep well.

Oh, and here is a sharp photo for you to dream on, mate.

Attached Images

MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote