Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:45 AM   #1

Hi!, im planing to buy my first camera, probably A610, i want to buy a fast 1Gb SD memo and record a lot of video too, i have a few questions about filming with A610:

1-I read the video recording is limited to 1GB file size, is this because 2GB SD cards are still not common or because the camera really doesn´t allow you to record files larger than 1GB even if you have 2GB?

2-Since i never had a digital cam i just was wondering if the camera does much noise when filming, i mean if one canhear the cam is recording video or not, im not talking about video sound quality i just want to know if the filming process does some kind of noise or this process is relatively imperceptible to a normal ear.

3-What should be the SD card speed to record video with this camera? i read 60x is fine but somewhere else i read it should be over 80x

4-Doesanybody knows exactly for how much time i can film with 1Gb and VGA at 30fps and at 15fps and also other resolutions? i think it´s about 8 minutes maximum resolution but i don´t know exactly the other speeds and resolutions

Thanks!

flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:00 AM   #2

Anybody has an idea of at least some of this?
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:22 PM   #3

I have the Canon A610 and 1GB 150X SD card. I don't hear the noise of whatever I'm recording. The quality is good at 60fps, and I've recorded roughly 700mb of video without any glitches, haven't filled the capacity of the card yet.
JoeSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:25 PM   #4

I have an A610 camera too but I do not plan to use it for video much. While the quality is very good, video file size is monster size. At the best quality it gobbles up memory at the rate of 1.7 MB per second or something similar. I don't shoot many videos but I reduced the size to 320x240 because most videos I shoot are meant to be shared with another person via the Internet (thank goodness for broadband).

About noise, a digital camera should not make any noise while recording but I can hear a faint hissing noise when recording video. Don't know if it is a problem with the A610 or it is just my camera. Since I purchased it for taking pictures (which it does extremely well - very pleased with it),not videos, I am not very annoyed by it and don't mind much. In your case, you should try taking a video with this camera at a store and check if this noise is common with this camera.

I want to add that this camera does digital zoom in video mode. Quite good for a digital zoom but not as good as optical zoom would do if it worked in video mode. The optical zoom mechanism is quite noisy.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:14 AM   #5

could someone please address the original question -- are movies limited to 1gb or not? What's the longest movie you can make on your a610?
bluesdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:19 AM   #6
TC3

bluesdance wrote:
Quote:
could someone please address the original question -- are movies limited to 1gb or not? What's the longest movie you can make on your a610?
After 1gb the filming should stop. You get about 8 mins of video on a 1gb card (thats on my A540 and at 30 fps the quality is very very good) but obviously you can start a new recording straight away
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote