Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:04 AM   #1

I was never a Canon fan until last year when, based on some awesome reviews, I decided to buy an A610. I must say I was not disappointed for the most part, except for indoor shots with flash (blurred results most of the time). It came time to buy a camera with a more powerful zoom so I started my research all over again. The S2 IS topped my list (shutter speed up to 3200, good image stabilizer, excellent response, no shutter lag, etc.). I then checked this forum hoping it would re-enforce my decision to buy the S2, but results were the exact opposite and my concerns about this camera started to grow. I came across lots of unhappy S2 owners trying their best to justify their decision about their S2's. Too many people reporting problems w/ focus, soft images, etc., so I switched gears and started look for something else. That's when I came across the Sony DSC-H1. At first, I was not considering it at all because of the recording media (memory stick vs. SD). Since I already have lots of SD cards, spending money on MS was not something I wanted to do. But then, I checked Steve's Sony forum and started reading what people had to say about their H1. I was amazed by how positive the topics were. For the most part, instead of complaints about the camera (as I often read in this forum), most people loved their H1. So, I started paying more and more attention to it, checking out reviews and other Sony forums (dpreview.com in particular) and I must say they really impressed me. The H1 photo galleries I had the opportunity to browse have some gorgeous pictures produced by this camera. The colors are well saturated, the images are crisp and sharp virtually eliminating the need for post processing (as suggested by many S2 lovers to resolve the S2 soft images). Granted, the S2 has a much better video capability, and the ability to use the zoom while in movie mode is a feature difficult to ignore. Then I thought, am I buying a picture or video camera? What is my primary purpose, to take pictures or record 30 sec video clips? The answer, of course, was... to take pictures. Therefore, the movie limitations of the H1 should not be a problem and I went ahead and bought myself an H1, which hasn't arrived yet but I can't wait to get my hands on it. I will post a follow-up with some photos as soon as I have the chance (for those who may be interested).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 1:38 AM   #2

Sony is making some GOOD cameras excellent images. I posted that previously, but all the S2 people jumped down my throat.

I posted about a friends sony 7 meg pocket camera and taking pictures side by side. The difference was from night to day.

What more can I say ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:20 AM   #3

I do believe the S2 is a good camera and it certainly has its strengths but I also believe it has its problems, which to a certain degree, all digicams do. As I stated previously, the deciding factor to me towards the Sony was the fact that at the Sony forum there is an overwhelming number of positive feedback from happy H1 owners and I just could not ignore that fact.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 4:49 PM   #4

As previously said: The Canon is also a very good camera. Even my girlfriend makes
very good pictures with it. Only did I put it in "P" mode, so I can use vivid colors (like my Kodak DX3900)

I think the Sony is just as good exept 2 things:

-Not so good videomode. And I use it ! Made several very nice movies of my 6 days old son. MAKING THIS QUALITY MOVIES IS AWESOME and you will use it more often
then you think. It even records in stereo !

-Memorystick. Yak this is only usable on sony stuff. I seethis as a big con.

But in the end. They both make good pictures. (If the user takes some time to experiment with several settings.)

Maurice
Owner of a S2, 800 Photos made in 2 weeks !

Attached Images

ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

You may want to check this link out, it is a comprehensive comparison of the two cameras

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Sony-...-S2-review.htm
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:42 PM   #6

I did the same research as you did,and I ended up buying the Canon S2 IS today. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Some features are just more important to some people than others, and some cameras are therefore a better fit to an individual which is not easily translated.

I certainly considered the Sony H1 seriously, but in the end the two deciding factors for me were:

- hand fit (the Canon fit much better in my hands than the Sony H1).

- look and feel (the Sony did not "look" as nice to me, but that again is highly subjective).

The Sony was (according to what I read) better at producing clean photos at higher ISO settings than the Canon S2, so that was the trade off I had to accept. The movie handling was also a positive plus forme in my decision.

I think both cameras are very capable and any differencesare probably so minute in the end that no matter which camera you choose, you will end up taking great pictures..

kdjoergensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:39 PM   #7

Congratulations on the birth of you baby boy, Ahamay.

Canon has a very good marketing department and they feed the engineers with the exact info. they need to build cameras whose features are appealing to the users (whether they make sense or not). A typical example is the S2 ability to record movies in stereo. The speakers are located less than two inches apart so I would hardly consider the sound as being in stereo. I have an A610 and even though the movie mode is not nearly as impressive as the S2, it is good enough for me and serves its purposes. What I really wish the H1 had is the 3200 shutter speed. That I think is a big plus. I handled both cameras and even though the Sony is much bulkier, I found my thumb all over the buttons on the back of the S2. The little holes Canon added to the back as thumb grips sit right between the buttons and if you grab the camera for a quick shot, chances are you will press a button. As for the looks, it does not matter to me which one looks better on the outside but which one can produce the best quality pictures and both cameras are certainly capable of that. The S2 pictures have a warmer tone to them, which I like but you most likely will have to pass them through some sort of post processing to sharpen up. The Sony pictures look cooler but much sharper. In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference. My Mom used to say, what would happen to the "yellow" if everyone liked "green"!!!