Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:29 PM   #11

I have an S2IS and have no problem with the picture quality.I think that after reading all the comments that videosilva makes about this camera in this and other threads,nothing will convince him differently. I say let videosilva think what he likes. We all know what the S2IS is cabable of in the right hands, and that's what really matters.

airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:12 PM   #12

JockScott wrote:
Quote:
videosilva wrote:
Quote:
Ok I can NO longer help my self. If you can not see it you need a new moniter. If you have a good moniter and still are unable to see it then............ you are happy and that is all that matters.

I have a good monitor and these pictures appear sharp to me! Have you had your eyes checked recently?:roll:

20/20 vision.

Possiby my high end Sony moniter does not like Canon
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:05 PM   #13

Just for the record: according to all the replies over at dpreview, if I downsize an image from any camera, as a final step I should sharpen it or it won't look as sharp as larger versions. I guess that makes post-processing almost manditory if you want to display smaller images. ( If I do apply a USM, my image's sharpness looks much like 1280x1024 sized images.)

Downsided images without USM should be compared relative to other similarly processed images.

And maybe ignore review sites downsized images in favour of their full sized original ones.

Good to see some other images posted - otherwise were just discussing things blind - with no means for comparison.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:18 PM   #14

These are nice photos indeed. The colors look well saturated and warm. I really like it but at the same time, I must agree with videosilva (and I do not need glasses nor a replacement for my IBM monitor) about the softness of these images. They are not really blurred, they simply lack a tiny bit of definition (nothing that Picasa can't take care of!). Now, this could very well be more of a personal taste rather than a real problem. I just bought an H1, which hasn't arrived yet but I was split between the two (and still am). Good job,mchnz!!!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:46 PM   #15

what about turning the in camera sharpness and saturation? will that mimick then the H1?
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:57 PM   #16

Well, that's a great suggestion, wisely. I do not have an S2 but if I did, I would certainly try changing the camera sharpness (I think the saturation is just fine, the colors look very nice and natural). I'm not sure the S2 can mimick the H1 because from what I've seen, the end results between the two cameras appear to be quite different, with the S2 producing warner but softer images while the H1 pictures are cooler but sharper. I prefer the S2 color tones but I quite like the H1 clarity.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote