Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:09 PM   #1

Hello everybody,

I'm making a lot of movies with my Canon S2. To which format couldI compress it
to achieve 50% or more compression, with still excellent quality?

Thanks,

Maurice
ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:40 PM   #2

Not sure which you were spelling.. achieve.. or arhive...

At any rate. I believe that any level of compression with result in loss of quality at least a bit.

Just incase your spelling meant the latter.. Before you archive.. place all orginal verisons on the cd (uncopmpressed).. as soon as you start goofing, you loose things.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:27 PM   #3

MPEG1, Windows Media, Quicktime(H.264) or Realmedia, most compressed format will do, because the original bitrate (capacity consumption rate) of recorded video from Canon DC isultra high indeed. For example, Canon tells us 1G memory card only can capture an average of 11 minutes (660 secs) of video at 640x480, 30fps so the actual bitrate of the 1.55Mbytes/sec or 12.4Mbit/sec. Any compression listed above could give video quality at half the original rate, 6.2Mbit/sec. For your reference my archival setting is much more aggressive and my target compression rate for the encoder very often is about or less than 2.5Mbit/sec (or 2500kbit/sec) for 640x480, 30fps.

Rudolf.

ahamay wrote:
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I'm making a lot of movies with my Canon S2. To which format couldI compress it
to achieve 50% or more compression, with still excellent quality?

Thanks,

Maurice
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:20 AM   #4

Hmm, Maybe that is why my videos degrade when re-encoding with TMpegEnc. I have settings at 2pass VBR with maximum at 1150. What do you think I should set the maximum and average BR?

Also, any suggestions on what to use to merge a collection of video clips and burn to DVD? Nero will prob. burn but I do not want all the clips as separate thumbnails on the DVD. Want to merge them as one movie. TMpegEnc will only merge after I convert to mpeg.
TIA

orion999 wrote:
Quote:
MPEG1, Windows Media, Quicktime(H.264) or Realmedia, most compressed format will do, because the original bitrate (capacity consumption rate) of recorded video from Canon DC isultra high indeed. For example, Canon tells us 1G memory card only can capture an average of 11 minutes (660 secs) of video at 640x480, 30fps so the actual bitrate of the 1.55Mbytes/sec or 12.4Mbit/sec. Any compression listed above could give video quality at half the original rate, 6.2Mbit/sec. For your reference ,,,,
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:14 AM   #5

If you are talking about 320x240 video 2pass VBR with average at 1150kbps (peak at double maybe) is ok.For keeping the 640x480 resolution (hence MPEG2) I am afraid 1150kbps average VBR might be too low to get satisfactory results.

The freeware version of TMPGEnc does not offer merging of clips into one. They do have a TMPGEnc Express which allows merging and doing many other filtering effects before encoding into MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI or WMV. Personally I use another freeware VirtualDubMod for the merging task because clips merged in this way requires no re-compression and is much faster to get done.

Rudolf.

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, Maybe that is why my videos degrade when re-encoding with TMpegEnc. I have settings at 2pass VBR with maximum at 1150. What do you think I should set the maximum and average BR?

Also, any suggestions on what to use to merge a collection of video clips and burn to DVD? Nero will prob. burn but I do not want all the clips as separate thumbnails on the DVD. Want to merge them as one movie. TMpegEnc will only merge after I convert to mpeg.
TIA
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote