Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1

Well i got a S2 IS yesterday,,,i have a Kodak DX6490 that i`ve had awhile now and it`s taken about 14,000+ pics....really works well for the money...i bought the S1 IS about a year ago,,,had it 2 days,found out Canon was bringing out the S2 so i ebayed it for what i paid for,,,and waited to see how this new camera was going to make out,,,the S1 was nice,,worked really well but the 3.2 megs and 1.5 inch lcd were lacking a little...

Now this camera is great,,a lot of decent improvements were added,,very pleased with the results...will take some getting used to though,,there is a ton of features that the DX6490 didn`t have,,and very nice features too..

Okay,,so i`m pleased,,,now has anyone tried the tcon17 attached to the front of this camera yet..i`m getting either the 52mm or 58mm lensmate adapter...i had the original Canon adapter on the S1 and was dissapointed to say the least when it arrived made from plastic...the lensmate adapters are excellent quality..i used the tcon a lot on my other camera taking humminbird pics...just wonder how it works on this,,,and if the IS should be changed in the menu for this tele lense..here`s one of a bald eagle at 646mm with the tcon,,,i`m thinking the canon with IS will help some,,but i usually sit and get out the tripod for this,,seeing you have to sit and wait anyway..

Brian
Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:09 AM   #2

Hi. Havent tried the tcon on this camera, but if you are using it on a tripod you should turn of the image stabilisation in the menu. I have read it's something to do with the IS trying todetect movement. On tripod there is no movement especially if you use timer function set to fire shutter 2 seconds after button pressed. Apparently on tripod you can get a worse photo with IS turned on due to camera trying to detect movement where there is none.
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:02 AM   #3

Thanks airdaleman,,,i had read that too somewhere about turning the IS off when using a tripod.at the very least it would be lessof a drain on the batteries,,,,thanks again...

Brian
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:24 AM   #4

Gorgeous picture, brianhare. Nice colors and sharpness. I doubt videosilva will have any complaints about the S2 here!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:05 PM   #5

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Gorgeous picture, brianhare. Nice colors and sharpness. I doubt videosilva will have any complaints about the S2 here!

Don't bet on it ! :lol::lol:

JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:27 PM   #6

he'll probably say the tree leaves on the bottom left hand corner of the picture isa bit soft and lacking focus :shock:....but that aint the camera, I think thats either the depth of field or the tree branch moved ..although I could be wrong hehehe
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:19 PM   #7

Actually, I see one feather in there with the fog effect so, it's a good photo...I guess...

:blah:
MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:23 PM   #8

To be fair here guys,,this was not taken with the Canon,,i haven`t gotten the adapter yet,,,and this was taken last summer,,this was taken with my DX6490,,,,i was just posting a pic to show you what i`m after..i expect the Canon will perform better or at least the same..the Canons high speed burst mode will definately help me with a lot of my wildlife shots i take,,and the better control over CA PLUS the 12X and IS will help too...i like the vivid color adjustment on the Canon too,,,closer to what i want to see,not necessarily what you see all the time,,but most people prefer the high color punch i find....

Brian
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:43 AM   #9

Oh no! I guess I'll have to take back my comment about videosilva.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:29 PM   #10

Videosilva will say that this picture is totally off because the bird is nota bird, but a polar bear... and the fog effect is destroying the image of the animal, and the snow is all washed out in blue....

At least he's somewhat entertaining to read....

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote