Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:39 AM   #1

Hi, I've just bought my new S2.it's a great camera!! it works very well and I'm very satisfied about creative functions and manual controls!

Also the manual focus (Considering that it is not a dSLR) works well, infact it helped me to focus some particulars and very thiny subjects that the camera didn't find!

I show you some photos, I'm not a professionist and I'm learning how to make serous photos and how to use well the camera!

This Photois one of the shots I made at same focus and differents F value.

Attached Images

Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:40 AM   #2

This is the moon, crop photo!
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:41 AM   #3

And this is Portogruaro, a city in the north east of Italy. The scene is not allineate..I should buy a better tripod!
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:49 AM   #4

wow these are fantastic photos! and congratulations on your choice of a very fine camera :-)

your shots are amazing! I am envious, especially the moon shot!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am still learning how to use manual mode correctly...how are you supposed to judge the apperture and shutter speed on your own by the way?

wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:01 PM   #5

wisely_foolish wrote:
Quote:
wow these are fantastic photos! and congratulations on your choice of a very fine camera :-)

your shots are amazing! I am envious, especially the moon shot!┬*

I am still learning how to use manual mode correctly...how are you supposed to judge the apperture and shutter speed on your own by the way?
I know your question wasn't directed towards me but I will try to help out being an S2 user myself.

When I shoot in Manual Mode, I simply use the Viewfinder as a "What You See Is What You Get" guide. It really is dead on accurate. So, I will start at an aperture that I want to use and then adjust the shutter speed until I get an image properly exposed in the viewfinder (or LCD). It also works the other way around. You can set the camera to the shutter speed that you want and then adjust the aperture to get the exposure that you want. You will see the image in the viewfinder get lighter or darker as you make your manual adjustments. Just remember what you see in the viewfinder is what you will get.

I hope this helps.

-Big Syd
bigsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

Nice shots,,,i like the building shots from different cultures/countries,,kind of gives me a view of your world....

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:39 PM   #7

cool bananas! Thank you for your advice Bigsyd I will try that
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:03 AM   #8

Hi..I'm happy you liked the photos...I'll post others when I'll make other photos in typical italian places!

Wisely..sorry, I reed your question just 3 mins ago! You already got an answer!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:42 PM   #9

Chevy ZL1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi..I'm happy you liked the photos...I'll post others when I'll make other photos in typical italian places!

┬*

Wisely..sorry, I reed your question just 3 mins ago! You already got an answer!
I have a question for you and the rest of owner┬┤s of this great camera.
Where are they made in??. I think that the one┬┤s made in Japan are better than the others made in China.

is that really so??. Thanks.
hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:06 AM   #10

thank you Chevy for your reply too =) I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions

hull: the made in x country isstill a very firey debate

After the Sony debacle with quality control issues in China, my weighting is that "made in Japan" or one of those reknowned for quality countries is better choice. I think the sony H1 is still made in Japan and that's why its on par with the S2.

I still feel the emerging countries like China, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, India and so on are still not yet reached the quality that customers demand. Samsung has surpassed Sony in terms of sales of electronics, ranking top 10 while Sony top 29 or so. However, it is the sheer output volume that Samsung has that made it so. The analogy would be a bullseye target and having a bucket of tomatoes thrown at it. Which ever hits the bullseye wins, and this is what I feel they are doing. There output is tremendous, leading to cheaper parts andtherefore, more affordable. However, it terms of quality assurance and control, maybe a few good ones and a lot of bad ones.

On the contrary, DSLRs like nikon are made in Thailand, and yet the performance nquality of the images are much higher than PnS cameras. How is this so? If you discern carefully, you will find that Nikon has virtually taken over quality control in Thailand and have very strict requirements. In addition to that, their lenses, which is the most important part of a DSLR, are still made in Japan.

All in all, the emerging developing countries, such as China with 15% pa growth rate, one of the highest in the world (and one of the reasons raw materials such as Steel and Oil are going up in price) will eventually be regarded as a top quality manufacturer. But now, I still put my trust with the traditional companies.

What do others reckon?