Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:41 PM   #1

Well here we go,,went to the park and tried this baby out properly,,,and i have to say i`m inpressed,,,really impressed..i have a kodak DX6490 which i`ve used a few years,,,and have gotten some really nice pictures with it...this Canoncamera is definately not any worse...i know a lot of people trash the kodak cameras but used properly it achieves really nice shots...this Canon ups that though considerably,,i thought the menus were hard at first but they are well thought out and in the field extremely accessable...snow mode is really good in almost all shots..i put ISO in my short-cut,,which seems to be perfect for me when i want to bump up the ISO during action shots,,which is what i do mostly..i am basically a nature shooter...hummingbirds and eagles in the summer,anything that moves in the winter...

So here`s a couple of shots i took today,,,high speed was used as this woodpecker was very nervous,,,i stayed in P mode for these 2...but i usually go full manual when i`m out...i think the sharpness considering i was at full zoom and handheld was right about on...i did keep the IS on though..hearing all these complaints about sharpness had me worried a little....now i`m fine..

I cropped these a little,,but very little,,just the left side to bring things forward a little so you guys can get a better look...lol

Brian

Attached Images

brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:41 PM   #2

Here`s another...

Brian
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:49 PM   #3

NICE shot!! Did you do anything other than crop it?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:16 PM   #4

I bought an S2 IS recently and started to read these forums. I found a lot of comments about "Fog effect" and unsharp pictures and wondered if I had made a poor choice of camera. However, looking at these shots (and others from other posters to these forums) I see no problems with "fuzzy focus". I am also delighted with the sharpness of my own shots.

I see that, in this thread so far, we have three Canadians, (one from the West Coast and two from the "Best Coast" :roll::-)

(joking VWMom)

JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:17 PM   #5

Absolutely nothing,,,,just a slight crop,,,appears fine to me????...i don`t spend a lot of time sharpening and playing in PSE3.0 with my pics..about the only thing i will do if the pic is a keeper is to remove CA in Paint Shop Pro 9.0..but this camera is definately better than the Kodak DX6490 in the purple-fringing department..that monster only showedit`s head once and it was my fault as i was shooting a bird on a limb against the bright overcast sky,and over exposed it quite a bit,,it was not that bad and definately to be expected with a 12x zoom cam...all these high zoom cameras have it,,,but some are worse than others..this seems to be the best i`ve had so far...thanks for looking..

Brian
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:53 PM   #6

I am a S2 IS User also. I must say, those are some really nice shots. Nice clarity and focus.

I love it when people post beautiful shots such as this to show how well the S2 can capture an image.

Keep up the good work.

-Big Syd
bigsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:33 PM   #7

If you look closely.. the 'fog effect' comments all root from ONE user.. he's been posting all over the web about it.. though never actually posted an example of it online. Unfortunatly he's been trolling a lot of forums and causing the same things to be discussed over and over.

That being said.. You can really only go on your OWN experience on a camera. I LOVE my S2.. and all other owners I have spoken to have said the same.

:|Keep 'a shootin'.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:26 PM   #8

Jockscott,,always nice to meet someone from my own Province here,,,i know one on the kodak forum from Fredericton,,small world isn`t it...

As for the fog effect,,,no idea....but i do know that coming here and reading those comments, untrue or not had me thinking i should ebay my S2 as soon as i received it..but reading steves review seemed to differ (Thanks Steve),,a lot of people go to these forums to get "THE LOW DOWN" on whether a camera is good or not,,,and the bad comments always outweigh the good it seems...anyone expecting these cheap cameras (and these are cheap when weighed with a DSLR) to be perfect are just kidding themselves...these cams have limits,,,and quite a few limits i might add...high noise,ca, to name a few...but..a 1/2 skilled person will find it`s strong points and work arround the faults...or go buy a really good dslr...but at what cost...a dslr with a lense package capable of going from some 30 odd milimeters to over 400 is going to cost you what kind of money...and try carrying it all day...

I had 2 35mm bodies,11 lenses,bag,tripod,filters,etc,etc,,,,and got rid of all of it,,,because i wanted to be able to walk,,,and enjoy photography again,,and i definately do now,,more than ever..

When i got my first digicam,,a DX6490 there were bashers everywhere complaining too,,,every forum has them...

My small piece of advise is if you buy acamera that doesn`t work for you,,either bring it back,send it for warranty,,or sell it...lifes to short to worry over losing a few dollars selling it when it causes you grief...and keeping it just prolongs your grief...just move on....

Thanks for the comments guys,it`s appreciated..

Brian
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:50 PM   #9

Those are brilliantshots brianhare. Look forward to seeing more from the S2

Regards,fellow S2IS user.

airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:15 PM   #10

Again thanks to all for the nice comments,,,,the kodak forum and this canon forum at steves are a lot of fun to visit.....

Brian