Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 25, 2003, 6:44 PM   #1

Default What CF memory card (what speed)do I need on powershot a70?

Is the speed of the card important on this camera?
bertelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:46 PM   #2

there are 2 ways of looking at it today.

yes if you are going to move up the camera ladder like to a Dslr in a year or two. size and write speeds will make a difference in that realm.

no, but there is a caveat to that in you would like to at least match the xfr rate of the bus in the camera to card. but camera makers don't supply that info because card makers also use different controllers that may or may not get along with your particular camera. so shop a little and i do suggest getting to know the manufacturers of these little cards. the super deal may not be what you think.

you can reference this DB for known manufacturers and you will be able to see what certain brand cards are capable of when placed in the big gun cameras.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

this is for reference and educational use only. you will not find any digicams on here. also check each manufacturers warranty.

remember there are many variables that will affect the "Write Speed" of a card.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:11 AM   #3

ok, but I don't mind about in 2 years.
I'm just asking myself, will there be a difference between tha a70 with a fast CF card and a slow one or will there be no difference at all (maybe it uses the buffer memory...)
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:40 AM   #4

my suggestion is go to a shop. they usually have cards around for demo purposes. they are always the less expensive ones too. if there is a sandisk there ask to try it in your camera. take a shot at the highest res you have and count the time from xfr light on to off. see the size of the image you shot and do the math. that will give you a rough idea of the xfr rate. then test the cards you already own the same way and now you have something to work with.

in short if your old card took 15 seconds to record an image from light on to light off and the sandask took 25 the answer becomes quite obvious.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:06 PM   #5

that seem pretty hard to do.
Has anyone experienced different CF cards on that camera?