Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:09 PM   #1

Default Question regarding G3 and autofocus

Hello, I've been doing a lot of research on the Canon G3 digital camera and everything I've read has been amazing.. so tonight I went to the local ritz camera store and had a chance to get more "hands on" with it... I really like the sturdyness of the camera, professional and nice looking LCD, amazing features and good picture quality and zoom.. however one thing that REALLY bugged me was the autofocus.. I would just pan around a room and it would go in and out of focus waiting on it to become still so that it could focus on one particular object, but what I wanted was for it to pan around the room without going in and out of focus..does the G3 have the option to turn that feature off? in certain situations I could see how that feature would be great if you're holding it very, very still on something. It almost made me dizzy trying to wait for it to zoom in after I moved it around the room some.. thanks in advance!
coryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:26 PM   #2

Yes you can change the focus on the g3. In the auto mode the camera thinks for you, if you turn the main command dial to P and hit the set button you control the focus area, over 300 different locations. Also in this mode there's a button right under the button you turn the camera on with marked MF which switches the camera to manual focus. Hope that's a good start to your question
Troy From Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 7:31 AM   #3

hey thanks for your response! so by turning that off or putting it in to manual mode it won't go in and out of focus will it? I think that feature is real nice if you're taking a macro or something non moving.. but it would be annoying if you needed to catch something in action like a squirrel running or something.. it would take a while to find it and be too late.. once again thanks for your post, how does everyone like their G3?
coryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 6:50 PM   #4
blm

I just got my G3 a few days ago, went from a C2020 Olympus 2.1 megapixel to this. I must be doing something wrong because I don't think the photos are all that much better for a camera with more pixels. I am shooting in L mode with Superfine compression yet and at printing at 2880 dpi on my epson 2200 printer. I have been shooting in Automode. The photos seems flat, not as focused as i would like it to be. Any suggestions?
blm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 10:24 PM   #5

You can also select the Menu button (in record mode, regardless of the main dial position), then on the red record menu set the AF Mode to single instead of continuous. But, I have found that unless you use the AF/AE lock in the creative zone (P, TV, AV, M)that the camera takes longer to focus than in Continuous. Other wise I Love my G3. I had an Olympus C4040z and got rid of it after a year because I got tired of having to keep going furhter down into the menu system to make a simple change to the white balance. I had been using my G3 for a month, and the person I sold my Olympus had some questions on how to use the camera, it about drove me nuts just to trying to use it for 5 minutes. My G3 is far superior. I liked it so much, I bought my wife a Powershot S230 Digital Elph that she can keep in her purse. I like the S230 for well lit situations, but indoors at night seem to result in some noisy images.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote