Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:29 AM   #1

I am in the market for a digital camera. I need something with a long zoom and a decent movie mode, and obviously something that takes good pics. I have been looking at the H1, S2IS, Z5, and Z7. There are just a few things that I prefer about the canon over the others, zoom in movie mode, and tilt screen, among other things. So I have narrowed it down to the S2 out of those cameras. However I have been waiting to see what gets announced for PMA. And today they announced the S3IS (www.dpreview.com). This seems like something great, but it puts me in an awqward position. I need this camera for a trip I am taking to Spain and England in late may, and I would also like to have it for my girlfriends college graduation the second week of May.

So, I basically would like to know:

1)When was the S2IS up for purchase last year, anybody remember specifically when in May? (my most important question)

and Is buying the S3IS over the S2IS without reading a review first a big risk? With alot of things there are minimal differences andI by no means am a professionl photographer, I think my sd200 takes fantastic pics, and that quality is all i reallyrequire outof my s3 or s2is. So is buying the S3IS as soon as it is available a safe bet if it is released in time for when i need it?
cward0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:35 AM   #2

Stay away from the s2!!!!!
dinoddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3
hkj

I would say it is 90% safe to buy S3IS if you liked S2IS. Canon says it has lower noise than S2IS, I would say other functions are the same or better. For me S3IS looks better than S2IS, that new black color looks nice after that dull Canon silver.

If Panasonic FZ7 would have had lower noise then I could say to you "Buy Panasonic FZ7", but because that is not the truth I say S3IS is gonna be just fine...
hkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4

Hi I've just bought the s2is and it's a really great camera. I reed anything wrote about it in this 2 last months...and I can say it's the best between S2is, Lumix Fz20 (seems also new fz7) and sony H1.

I'm sure the s3 will be a great camera, but I've just read specs and it doesn't seems to bo so different from the s2is. 6 MP are good, but I'm sure 5 is enought. ISO 800 I think is a useless function...to much noise, also reducing MP. Only a dSLR can operate at high isos...

By my expereince...waiting something for months is absolutely terrible...and nobody can say when Canon will really release the camera!

It can be half of may..firsts of june...
Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:57 AM   #5
hkj

Chevy ZL1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi I've just bought the s2is and it's a really great camera. I reed anything wrote about it in this 2 last months...and I can say it's the best between S2is, Lumix Fz20 (seems also new fz7) and sony H1.

I'm sure the s3 will be a great camera, but I've just read specs and it doesn't seems to bo so different from the s2is. 6 MP are good, but I'm sure 5 is enought. ISO 800 I think is a useless function...to much noise, also reducing MP. Only a dSLR can operate at high isos...

By my expereince...waiting something for months is absolutely terrible...and nobody can say when Canon will really release the camera!

It can be half of may..firsts of june...
I would say FZ7 is better camera than S2IS and I also believe S3IS is better than FZ7 but it is also more expensive (399,- vs. 499,-). I repeat myself, but if and only if FZ7 would have had low noise then it might have been on par with S3IS, but this is only speculation. It is exiting to see what great cameras we have at the end of the year 2006.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:00 PM   #6

Anybody have a response to my most important question? When S2 was specifically available in May, and when in May one could expect the S3?
cward0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:26 PM   #7

cward0625 wrote:
Quote:
Anybody have a response to my most important question? When S2 was specifically available in May, and when in May one could expect the S3?
Nobody knows it. And nobody will know something until canon provides the official date (and it's not so sure)
Chevy ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:28 PM   #8
hkj

cward0625 wrote:
Quote:
In Europe we got first S2IS cameras in June and they sold out quite fast. I think it is going to be June in europe before we get S3IS, usually it is a tad faster in USA and Japan.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:54 PM   #9

this year ISO improvement is popular, and this is very nice. Cameras are approaching SLR quality step by step.

Where image stabilization helps, high ISO performance with low noise is much more helpful.

review of FZ7 is available at Dpreview, and ıt says "above average noise" even at ISO 80 it is a noisy camera.

i guess best choise for a superzoom is S3 now.

but i should say that, i will never get a camera before the reviews... i suggest you to wait... at least in march.

jan ad feb are for waiting

march-april for deciding

mayfor buying
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:26 PM   #10
hkj

It is hard to say much about Canon test images, but they look a bit soft, noise does not seem to be a big problem. Hard to compare to the S2IS, but I would say they look marginally better.

S3IS:
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...PageID=26181#1

S2IS
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home...PageID=26181#1