Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:28 AM   #11

Thank you very much! the lowest actual price here in Belarus is USD292, and this should be a "grey" device most probably (no official Canon service support etc.)
Vasia Chapaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:32 AM   #12

I would choose the a610 over the A5 series anyday.
Roboshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:34 PM   #13

Vasia,

I live in California and want to buy a camera for my undcle who lives in Minsk.
Do you know what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks,
Alex

alexkuzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:02 PM   #14

I think Canon is taking advantage of good marketing techniques with the just announced new camera line. They pickedkey areas (MP, ISO, LCD size and battery) and improved them some. Although some improvementsare obviously positive (i.e. the use of 2 AA instead of 4 or 2.5" LCD as opposed to 1.8"), some are unknown until the initial batch of reviews start to come out (i.e. higher ISO, and more MP). But, if nothing else, the new models are responsible for a tremendous price drop on the A6n0 models (Dell is currently selling the A610 for $187.49 USD). I'm not sure Canon will come up with a replacement for the A6 series. I think the A7 is the next step up and the end of the A6. The A5 models are hybrids (IMO), they are better than the old A5s and a step down from the A6offered atattractive prices.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:21 AM   #15

What do you mean by "the best way"?

Do you want to buy it in the States and bring it here with you? I think that A610 is quite cheaper in the US than here, but if something happens to the camera (ne dai Bog) during guarantee period, it would have no guarantee support and would be repaired only for money.

So I think it's better to buy it here in Belarus in http://fotomir.shop.by with an official Canon 2-year guarantee for CIS countries, as Canon worldwide guarantee does not spread here.

Should you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask me!
Vasia Chapaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:18 PM   #16

A610 for ever, sensor size 1/1.8 inch in the 540 sensor size 1/2.5 inch. I have a A620 and i´m a very happy man. Ole.
Harlekino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:22 PM   #17

Hi everyone, I must say I agree with slitman. I have a A75 and have been looking at the A610 since it came out. Well, now in the u.k. it has just dropped from £209 to £165! This is due to the new models. Having bought my A75 as soon as it came out, I got quite excited about Canon's new stuff so when I checked out the spec of the 540 and the 700 yesterday, I was very dissapointed. Ok, bigger lcd but no tilt & swivel isa big step back for me.But it's not just the lcd, there is not much differance between the610 and new 540. Go on the Canon website and you can put these 2 digicams head to head side by side, they are a lot the same. The new models are more sexy curvey, but my money is going on a bargain A610!
Ady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:10 PM   #18

Just do a feature select and compare on the Canon web site.

Apart from the twist & swivel LCD, the A610/620 comes out on top for:

Larger sensor - lower noise
Faster lens for most of the zoom range
Close focus 1cm compared to 5cm for the A540
Flexizone AF mode
LCD with 115,000 pixels compared to the slightly larger A540 lcd with only 85,000 pixels
Second curtain flash sync
Greater flash range
Much larger battery capacity giving 350 shots compared to 90 shots for the A540 on alkalines, a similar story for NiMh cells.

I know which I would go for.

Oh wait a minute, I did buy an A620.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:23 AM   #19
TC3

I went with the 540 as i believe the newer sensor does have less noise and i also like the smaller size of the 540 and its shape

High capacity nimh cells will allow 300 shotsand it would be a good idea anyone who provides info on a camera make sure the facts are correct :roll:

The A620 and 610 seem to over expose sometimes from what i have read in other forums but i have no way of checking this out myself

The A540 flashadjusts with the zoom range which apparently helps reduce red eye.

Both cameras have plus points and are both well reviewed by Steve

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:56 PM   #20
TC3

Got the A540. Great lil cam for the money it is too and so far no regrets. There is another review at dcresource.com which is not to bad
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote