Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:23 PM   #1

Anyone know of major differences (besides the A540 having one ore megapixel) between the A610 and A540?

Since the A610 is part of the 600 series, you would think it would be a step above the 540. Also, the new Canon's, including the A540, lose the swivel and have only 2 batteries instead of four.
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:59 AM   #2

Haven't seen any retail prices for the new 540 yet although the indications I've seen on press sites would appear to signify a price which is about the same as the 610. I may be proved wrong though.

Personally the swivel out screen is one of the 610's best features. I'm about to take the plunge and buy one and I don't think I'll bother with the 540 despite it having higher resolution.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:39 PM   #3

Actually I agree with you. Was acutally looking forward to Canon's new releases, but in some ways it seems like a step backwards as what they are currently offering is better.

Even the new A700, I would have to still go with the A620 over it.

ron519098 wrote:
Quote:
Haven't seen any retail prices for the new 540 yet although the indications I've seen on press sites would appear to signify a price which is about the same as the 610. I may be proved wrong though.

Personally the swivel out screen is one of the 610's best features. I'm about to take the plunge and buy one and I don't think I'll bother with the 540 despite it having higher resolution.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:06 AM   #4

Hi, I have an A610 and I really don't think the A540 can be consideredits successor. The higher resolution does not mean much. I used to have a Nikon coolpix 4200, which has 4 megapixels but the picture quality is much better than the newer 5600 (5 MP). If the CCD size is the same, the higher the megapixels, the worse it is. Now, the A700 is a different story for it has 6x optical zoom but I think they are targeting the Panasonic LZ5.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:38 PM   #5

If you want a real kick in the shins, try the Imaging Resource comparometer and check out comparisons between various "new" cameras and the Canon G2 - which you can buy for as little as $100-$140 with various extras on Ebay just about any day of the week.

Is *picture quality* driving camera buying or something else?

Not every new model works better than elderly models that started out in life as finer cameras to begin with.

I have a Nikon 8700 only a few months old. I paid $800 new. With a cheap add-on, my "new" Canon G2 for $140 (with extras) takes macro shots just as well and for most purposes, it's just as good a camera. When I first compared the G2 against a higher resolution Canon A620, I was startled to realize I thought the pictures were comparable. (The G2 walks all over the Canon A520, by the way, just check the macro test shot.)

I rarely need 8 megapixels. It's like driving a large truck in the city - there are disadvantages.

If you're not going to enlarge everything into big prints, which most people don't, especially these days, when they spend all their time playing with digital albums online, why spend more than you have to? A great classic (many prefer the G2 to the G3) does it all for so much less, you can afford more vacations.
:-)
chitaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:59 AM   #6

The only reason i see tobuy the A540 over the 610 is the iso 800, if at least it improved the iso 400 and had a usable iso 800that would be a reason but i didn´t read anywhere they changed the sensor, did they?? other than that 1mp more is not something to be taken seriously and it also seems the A540 is a downgrade: 10fps movie mode?? no swivel LCD??, idon´t believe(and i hope not)these new models (A540, A700) are replacements for the A610, they must be replacements for the previousA5#0 and the A700 must be a new model from Canon to respond to the competition, i assume the real succesors for the A6#0 will come later in the year
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:34 AM   #7

As I see, A540 ( and even A700) should be compared with previous Canon 5xx series cameras, not with 6xx.

I am going to buy A610 soon an I would like to know whether the average price of $310 in my country differ much from that in your countries.

Could you please give me some examples?
Vasia Chapaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:18 AM   #8

Vasia Chapaeff wrote:
Quote:
As I see, A540 ( and even A700) should be compared with previous Canon 5xx series cameras, not with 6xx.

I am going to buy A610 soon an I would like to know whether the average price of $310 in my country differ much from that in your countries.

Could you please give me some examples?
Depends where you are and your local currency. You don't say whether your dollars are US, Canadian, Australian or anywhere else.Best look at the various international flavours of Pricerunner to get some idea. They operate in UK, USA, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and France.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:54 AM   #9

I'm from Belarus and I meant US dollars, though we do not use them as local currency.

However, in local Internet shops most prices are given in USD (due to some economical reasons):-)
Vasia Chapaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:50 AM   #10

Well USD310 equates to GBP177 which is not too far from what you might pay in the UK. Currently lowest price on Pricerunner is GBP165 which equates to USD288.