Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:59 PM   #11

airedaleman wrote:
Quote:
vwmom wrote:
Quote:
Zip.. Ignore that guy. he's the root of 90% of the threads that complain about the S2.. ANYONE on here will vouch for that.
Videosilva complains unjustlyabout the S2 IS. Everyone has a right to an opinion and I respect that, but to tell the truth I am getting very tired of seeing the comments this guy writes every time the S2 IS is mentioned and I suspect many other's S2 owners are as well.

Fair enough Videosilva, we all realise you can't stand the S2 IS and as I said you have a right to your opinion. I joined Steve's forum to learn more about my camera, which through some very good people on here I am succeeding. Please stop bleating on about the S2 ISand let's all get onwith enjoying the forum and using it in the manner intended.

I don't hate anyone I don't like the idea of giving others false ideas. This is what happend to me. I tested and asked and heard all about what I was doing wrong and what could be. I belived what was said and got a second S2, its a shame that little camera HAS SO MUCH though it comes so short.

Its like buying a nice car with a lawn mower for anengine.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #12

Well, I'll save my comments for when I receive my S2 and take some pictures with it. Until then, I must say that my H1 takes excellent pictures but it certainly has its flaws. The inability to lock the exposure is the biggest of all. Even my Canon A610 allows me to lock the exposure. I also think the images it produces are a bit too cool (and I can not change that either). So, we'll see.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:12 AM   #13

hi Tullio, just wanted to ask, what does exposure locking do and when would you need it? I've just started to learn about the fun of focus lock on my S2 but not exposure lock just as yet....thanks for your help

also, about the LCD, I rarely use it now, I find I am almost exclusively shooting with the viewfinder and reviewing with the LCD. It really makes the shot much more steadier. I did a photo experiment at home the other day, with a still object and my hands shaking a bit, I found I could go up to 0.3 secs before blur set in due to shaking . That definitely helps alot

i'd say that from the S2, I have learnt alot about photography and have met many new ppl here and gained more experience about this art,and I am alsoquite happy with the pictures i have taken. however, they are still point and shoots and people shouldn't expect too much of them

wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #14

Hi Wisely, on any digital camera, when you press the shutter half wayit does two things: it pre-focus the image (based onhow you setup the AFin your camera) and meters the light (also depending on how you have it setup). Most of the time,the exposure resulting from the meteringsystemis good, whether you use matrix (multi-points) or center-weight (exposure is based on whatever the center of the lens is pointing to). However, there are situations where the camera will have difficulty metering light accurately either because the contrast between the bright and shaded areas of your composition is too great or the center spot of your subject is either too bright or too dark. In situations like these, what you need is to first meter the light correctly and then compose, focus and shoot. Since by pressing the shutter half way the camera will doboth (metering and focusing), unless you have the ability to lock the exposure, it will be pratically impossible to accomplish what I just described. However, ifyou are shooting landscape using a very small aperture, which will give you a great DOP, you will be OK if you can not lock the exposure. In this case, since everything will be focused, you can point the camera to where you think you want it measuring light and then re-composeand shoot. Hope this helps.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote