Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:11 PM   #21

From what I have read so far, for me, I would consider upgrading.

I like the idea of gaining another whole stop via Higher ISO. From what I have read from initial reports and reviews, ISO 400 Image Quality on the S3 mimmicks ISO 200 on the S2. To me, ISO200 Image Quality on the S2 is passable. And from what I have seen, they are using a new CCD Sensor.

I also like the newly added feature of a live Histogram. That will definitley help capture better exposed images.

Oh yeah, I also think the black body color is slick too.

I guess everybody will have to assess the situation for themself. To me, its worth the upgrade.
bigsyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 6:25 PM   #22

As posted in the other thread. The sensor hasn't changed.. That's the thing I was hoping they would do with the new model (as were others).. A jump in MP isn't going to make a difference in my opinion.. But Canon could surprise us with something not told.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:21 PM   #23

As I understand it the sensor has changed. Some people suspect it a new sensor from Sony - I think they believe this because it matches the specs:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17280034

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
As posted in the other thread. The sensor hasn't changed.. That's the thing I was hoping they would do with the new model (as were others).. A jump in MP isn't going to make a difference in my opinion.. But Canon could surprise us with something not told.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:04 PM   #24

There is NO concrete statement that says the sensor has changed. Canon hasn't announced a name change or different description of any sort other than a jump from 5 to 6 Mp. Any rumour that mentions a Sony sensor are by regular people that are guessing why the same camera having a tough time at 400 ISO, can magically do 800 now.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:18 PM   #25

My thinking is that there had to be a sensor change. For one thing. S3 is supposedly doing images at ISO400 which look like the S2's ISO200 images. That being the case and the fact that they can now squeeze ISO800 and 6MP, I gotta believe the S3 has a new censor.

But like you said, what do I know. But if you ask me, by changing the model name to S3, its easily possible that they could have changed the sensor.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:20 PM   #26

Where have you seen example photos from the S3 at 400 ISO?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:13 PM   #27

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
Where have you seen example photos from the S3 at 400 ISO?
There are more detailed discussions on another Digital Photography Review messageboard. There is talk that the Canon is using a Sony sensor in the S3 and images have been produced to show IQ of this sensor.

But keep in mind, I dont work for Canon nor do I have any insdie information.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:16 PM   #28

Athough very small, here is a ISO800 sample used for marketing:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...13077&pageno=1
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:53 PM   #29

Almost all the digital cameras are using Sony chips. In reality most people are using an off branded Sony camera of some sort.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:38 PM   #30

Look at that example.. I HATE is when marketers do that.. The same to the right says 800 ISO.. the one that's blurry shows nothing. What's the point of making a comparison?.... Also.. the 80 ISO photos shown on the other page give you the option of viewing a FULL photo. Really makes you wonder.. UGh.. guess we'll still have to wait.