Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:21 AM   #31

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
There is NO concrete statement that says the sensor has changed.
Yes there is and it is stated in the press release.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:36 PM   #32

It's gone from 5 to 6mp.. but it's still the same size.. Taking in example of the 610 and 620.. I don't think that will benefit the cam.. but obviously.. still too early to say.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 5:25 PM   #33

READ the press release. Slowly.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:11 PM   #34

Photos from the PMA of the S3.. It's actually grey!!.. The photos up to now, looked closer to black. This def. still has the 'speckle' look.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2006/Canon/
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:44 PM   #35

Agree that it looks more dark gray than black. Could just be thesepictures though. Canon's picture looked black black.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:45 PM   #36

In the camera desciption is says gunmetal grey.... I thought it would be closer to black.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:08 AM   #37

Regarding the flash popup, I'm happy with it manual, becouse every time i must take a picture in low light condition, i use the flash as a last resort. Always i try to solve the problem with higher ISO, or increasing exposure time, helped by a tripod.
However, never use ISO 400 on s2 IS.
For me, if the quality of pictures taken on S3 at ISO 400, equals iso 200 on S2, will make upgrade. So, i will wait some reviews...And i don't have any hopes that the 800 ISO setting will be usable.
And till next year, i hope to see some very beag leap forward in this domain, becouse of the davinci technology from texas instruments....
roland79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:49 AM   #38

So the S3 is listed on Amazon.com as the Canon Pro Series S3.. hmm.. .lol

Anyway.. It says it will be ready to ship May 31st.. why don't they just say June then?
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:57 AM   #39

So they can quote a 'May ship date'? Amazon is typically VERY conservative when it comes to ship dates.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:57 AM   #40

I have been interested in S3iS, but i need a digi cam for a trip i have on the 21st of May. With the release date on amazon being may 31st, it doesnt look like I will be able to get the S3IS. I am not a photographer, I am only now in researching getting a new camera finding out about ISO and polarizers, etc. I have had a MinoltaDimage Xt, a Canon A85, and a Canon SD200. All 3 of these cameras I have been pleased with the results on 4x6s. I just need a camera with a big zoom, and I want to make some 8x10s for framing and putting on the wall. I dont think i have the eye you guys have, I see the noise on alot of these cameras when viewing on a computer screen but fail to see that noise on 4x6s, and the few 8x10s I have printed on an sd200.

Basically, in explaining all that (my knowledge/experience/expectations of a digital camera) I was just wondering what my alternatives are.

To me the S2IS is looking like the best bet, the price will be $200 cheaper than the S3IS but will the S3IS for someone like me likely have noticeable differences in output?

I really would like to get the S3IS, because it is the latest technology, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, due to the timing of my trip. I just dont want to be disappointed that I didnt wait for the s3?

Any feedback would be appreciated...
cward0625 is offline   Reply With Quote