Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:34 PM   #51

On the "Olds Value Foto Source" web site (based in Alberta, Canada), they list the Canon PowerShot S3 IS for CDN $599 (plus 7% GST for a total of $641.99):
http://www.camera-warehouse.ca/produ...OWERSHOT-S3-IS
They list the camera as being available in eight weeks - which from today's date would be May 10th!

I was considering getting the Canon S2 IS, but I think that I'll now hold off for the S3! Does anyone know how many pixels the optical viewfinder has?

davidelewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:46 AM   #52

How many pixels the viewfinder has??.. I'm curious as to why it matters.. I don't think I've ever seen it even mention on camera specs before.. Past size of an lcd, there's really no point in resolution. We're past the age of visable digital 'dot' displays.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:19 AM   #53

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
How many pixels the viewfinder has??.. I'm curious as to why it matters.. I don't think I've ever seen it even mention on camera specs before.. Past size of an lcd, there's really no point in resolution. We're past the age of visable digital 'dot' displays.
Sure it matters, why wouldn't it? Would yourather view a 2.5" 225,000 pixel screen or a 2.5" 115,000 screen?
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:28 AM   #54

He was referring to the viewfinder, not lcd. I was using LCD as an example.. The S3 hasa 2" lcd.. even at that.. personally, the resolution on any of the newer high end cameras have more than enough res. for it's purpose. I have yet to come across a camera (that's past the budget 200.00 consumer cam), where lcd or viewfinder res. is an issue at all.

As for viewfinder, it's the same in my personal opinion. Heck.. some of the new Pannies, don't even have viewfinders (though I think is sad).
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:31 AM   #55

vwmom wrote:
Quote:
He was referring to the viewfinder, not lcd. I was using LCD as an example.. The S3 hasa 2" lcd.. even at that.. personally, the resolution on any of the newer high end cameras have more than enough res. for it's purpose. I have yet to come across a camera (that's past the budget 200.00 consumer cam), where lcd or viewfinder res. is an issue at all.

As for viewfinder, it's the same in my personal opinion. Heck.. some of the new Pannies, don't even have viewfinders (though I think is sad).
I't s the same concept for EVFs. Resolution matters-greatly.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:11 PM   #56

vwmom wrote:
Quote:

It matters for the following reasons:
  1. Manual focus - the better the image, the more precisely you can focus.[/*]
  2. Better macro images - even with auto focus, if you have low resolution viewfinder it is hard to tell what part of the image is in focus (and what parts will be blurry) - and therefore how best to adjust you distance from the subject being photographed.[/*]
  3. Playback of images or movies - if the viewfinder has a higher resolution than the LCD, then this can be very useful if editing movies or cropping images. Keep in mind that 640 x 480 pixels in 307K pixels. A viewfinder with 117K displays only 365 x 320 pixels.[/*]

Incidentally, some of the cameras reviewed on this site do include the pixel resolution for the viewfinder. For example, the Kodak P850 has an LCD with 115K pixels and the viewfinder with 237K pixels:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/p850.html

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:23 PM   #57

According to this site: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/
  • The Canon S1 LCD (1.5 inch) is 114K pixels and the viewfinder is 114K pixels.[/*]
  • The Canon S2 LCD (1.8 inch) is 115K pixels and the viewfinder is 115K pixels.[/*]
... and then the specifications listed at: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s3is.asp continue that
  • The Canon S3 LCD(2.0 inch) is 115K pixels[/*]
... so it may be safe to assume that the viewfinder on the Canon S3 is also 115K pixels. :sad:
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:34 PM   #58

The current LCD/EVF's are not good enough to tell if an image is slightly blurry due to IS or focus issues. This is not too bad if a PC is only minutes away, but if its hours away it's not much fun to find out you've missed a great shot.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:04 PM   #59

Thats why we can have the zoom in the review section...to see if we have any blurry images. :idea:
Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:21 PM   #60

Yes.. that's what I typically do. Unless an lcd is 5" across.. you're not going to get much more detail without zooming in.