Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:07 PM   #1

Ok so I am a newby and looking at the S2 as a good point and shoot for my wife. The big thing we take pictures of is our 3 year old. I realize that some Red Eye is inevitable, but is the S2 good at avoiding this? This and Shutter lag are the two top things that a new camera has to take care of. Thanks! Steven
steven766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2

I've owned, and tested a number of cameras.. The S2 has been the best for me soo far.. This has to do with the flash being farther from the lense on most compacts.

The camera itself.. very fast, you'd be impressed with it.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:29 PM   #3

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, why do you have to keep doing that ? Why not say the camera is LOADED with many features its very nice but DOES suffer slightly out of focus images.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:35 PM   #4

A camera is only as good as it's user..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"There are hundreds of thousands of people that own the S2.. YOU'RE the only one to complain about it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve766 is more than welcome to search through professional reviews and photographic examples from this camera. It's one of the best selling in it's class.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"He is also welcome to look through complaints on it... 90% of the time, you've been the one that has started the thread. Get over it and move on dude. STOP polluting the forums.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This person asked about red eye and lag on the S2.. I answered.

Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5

Thanks for your comments, I neede to take my wife to the store and see how she likes it. Steven
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:33 AM   #6

My advice woould be to visit the Panasong and the Sony fourms to get a good feel for picture quality. This way you will not be discouraged as I was.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:00 AM   #7

videosilva wrote:
Quote:
My advice woould be to visit the Panasong and the Sony fourms to get a good feel for picture quality. This way you will not be discouraged as I was.
Even better, look at the reviews at this site, they often contain comparison images or similar images from the different cameras. The review images can be downloaded full size in their original condition free from downsizing/smoothing and other post-camera processing.

Review images lessen the variation due to different skill levels and subjects.

The forum images are often downsized, smoothed (looses detail, but removes jaggies), and sometimes sharpened (to bring back some of the detail) - so they can't be trusted.

There is also the S2 IS - H1 shoot out at http://www.dcresource.com/specials/S2_vs_H1/index.shtml

Making effective use of the top-end of the zoom on a superzooms tends to require more knowledge of photographic concepts than cameras with less zoom. If ease of use for casual users is an issue, then perhaps this needs to be considered in the purchase decision.
mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:05 AM   #8

Thanks for your comments. As far as a sony is concerned it is out. Our last camera which went swimming was a Sony W7 and my wife detested that camera. Steven
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:49 AM   #9

I tried the W5 (same cam.. lower mp).. anyway.. I returned it after about a week.

Truthfully I LOVED my old sony (P71).. but the new Sonys just aren't the same. Comparing Sony to Canon.. The Canon cameras seem faster and the colors are much more brilliant. As for Panasonics, I didn't get past the fact that none of their comparable cameras felt right in my hand. I've returned about 5 cams in the last 4 months.. needless to say I'm picky. I LOVE my S2 handsdown.